The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Front Range Basketball Camp Lakewood Colorado (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97359-front-range-basketball-camp-lakewood-colorado.html)

wyo96 Sun Feb 23, 2014 06:52pm

Front Range Basketball Camp Lakewood Colorado

Has anyone here attended one of Mark Bless's camps?

Form

While I know the chances of being hired are low, I would like to see some quality summer BB for self improvement.

Do the clinicians offer any feedback, or do they just "watch and rate" each official?

Thanks!

AremRed Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:47pm

$250? That's the most expensive HS camp I've seen. I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924372)
$250? That's the most expensive HS camp I've seen. I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.

Then you haven't seen many camps. There are many that are below that but I've seen several above, and even well above, that amount.

Or are you talking about who hosts the camp and somehow grouping some into a different class even though the players are all still HS players?

BillyMac Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:01pm

Can You Imagine ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924372)
I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.

There's even a tax on weed.

Rich Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 924375)
Then you haven't seen many camps. There are many that are below that but I've seen several above, and even well above, that amount.

Or are you talking about who hosts the camp and somehow grouping some into a different class even though the players are all still HS players?

There's one in July near here that cost $375 last year -- included all meals and a dorm room, though. Well worth the cost. I've been a couple of times and I'll go back again this summer.

kk13 Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 924385)
There's one in July near here that cost $375 last year -- included all meals and a dorm room, though. Well worth the cost. I've been a couple of times and I'll go back again this summer.

Where's near here?

Rich Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk13 (Post 924412)
Where's near here?

Wisconsin.

johnny d Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 924385)

$375? This is for a camp to get HS games, or a camp where the teams are HS teams? There are D2 camps that cost less than this. No way I would ever pay that much money to get HS games.

Rich Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 924467)
$375? This is for a camp to get HS games, or a camp where the teams are HS teams? There are D2 camps that cost less than this. No way I would ever pay that much money to get HS games.

It has nothing to do with *getting* games. The clinicians are top notch officials, some of whom work D1, all of whom work college schedules. It's 3 days of basketball where you work 26 halves of games, get 2 nights lodging, and about 8-10 meals in a university cafeteria. Although I've passed on the lodging and have stayed at a hotel -- my dorm days are long behind me.

One can argue that it does get you a certain amount of exposure or that you may get (as a result of meeting people) some HS games that wouldn't come your way otherwise. But the main reason I go is because it is a camp that makes me a better official and provides me with enough hoops over a weekend to put little things in practice. And I can deduct every penny from my income taxes.

Of course to some it's all about how much money it costs and how many games you get from it. Thankfully, those aren't the people that come.

johnny d Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:45pm

I know I am going to butcher these guys names, so I apologize in advance. I will go out on a limb and guess that either or both Paul Szells and Peter Juzanues are two of the D1 officials you are talking about. Both of them are excellent clinicians. I have been at camps were both of them work, and I have had the pleasure of working college games with both of them. That being said, I know that Paul runs a camp in Milwaukee where all the clinicians are D1 officials (Peter included) that does not cost anywhere near this amount of money. I know the purpose of camp isn't just to get games and the quality of teaching matters, but getting games and exposure is part of the equation and you can get both for a better price in your backyard without even looking that hard.

HawkeyeCubP Mon Feb 24, 2014 04:03pm

The camp wyo is referring to is a DII women's camp.

And yes, they offer plenty of feedback during each game.

Rich Mon Feb 24, 2014 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 924475)
I know I am going to butcher these guys names, so I apologize in advance. I will go out on a limb and guess that either or both Paul Szells and Peter Juzanues are two of the D1 officials you are talking about. Both of them are excellent clinicians. I have been at camps were both of them work, and I have had the pleasure of working college games with both of them. That being said, I know that Paul runs a camp in Milwaukee where all the clinicians are D1 officials (Peter included) that does not cost anywhere near this amount of money. I know the purpose of camp isn't just to get games and the quality of teaching matters, but getting games and exposure is part of the equation and you can get both for a better price in your backyard without even looking that hard.

Eh, I like the one I've gone to. It's on a college campus, everything's centrally located, and I can focus on hoops for a weekend. To each their own.

SAJ Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24am

These camps are for the DII RMAC league. Bless is the assignor for the women's RMAC.

AremRed Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 924467)

Agree, but it's not so bad with the included room and board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 924475)
Paul Szells

Paul Szelc?

johnny d Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924709)

Paul Szelc?

That would be the guy. I was too lazy to look up the spelling.