The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Where problems start... (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97356-where-problems-start-video.html)

JetMetFan Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:36am

Where problems start... (video)

This game took place in the St. Louis area. The only write-up I've found online doesn't mention this situation. Other info:

*The home team was leading by eight at half
*The situation took place in the third quarter
*With no full write-up it's not known how the crew ultimately handled the situation
*The visiting (edit) team eventually won by 17
*The schools were playing for their division lead

A very good illustration of why calling the first foul is important.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NxAr4_Wzp3k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

deecee Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15am

Foul on black in the first part of the video, then in the second part foul on black again for pushing whites arm away.

Then when they start wrestling there is only a whistle for the takedown. I wonder if black was given 2 points for the perfectly executed over the back barrel roll takedown maneuver.

Raymond Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19am

Doesn't help that the Lead is asleep through the entire 2nd sequence, and the C casually walks in like it's a routine foul.

The Trail, who was further away is the first one of the scene...SMH

deecee Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924280)
Doesn't help that the Lead is asleep through the entire 2nd sequence, and the C casually walks in like it's a routine foul.

But looking at the T he was looking at the whole to do the whole time.

Toren Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 924280)

This

+1

blindzebra Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:45am

In areas where we don't have 3-person it pains me to see it wasted like it was in this game.

What the hell were they watching? Because it wasn't their primaries.

Nikki Sun Feb 23, 2014 02:13pm

A foul in the first play on black...calling this and a quick talking to about the extra activity probably prevents the next situation.
But...In light of no call there the biggest problem is that the lead doesn't rotate at the other end. If he rotates this play is right in front of him and maybe he gets the first foul (or the second or third). Too many times in this area officials don't want to rotate "until the ball settles lower than the free throw line".

Full disclosure: I asked JMF to post this video for me, the visitors actually won the game by 17...The penalties handed out were a double foul on black 11 and the white player that goes down. Then double technicals for the shoving after the play.

Rich Sun Feb 23, 2014 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikki (Post 924332)
A foul in the first play on black...calling this and a quick talking to about the extra activity probably prevents the next situation.
But...In light of no call there the biggest problem is that the lead doesn't rotate at the other end. If he rotates this play is right in front of him and maybe he gets the first foul (or the second or third). Too many times in this area officials don't want to rotate "until the ball settles lower than the free throw line".

Full disclosure: I asked JMF to post this video for me, the visitors actually won the game by 17...The penalties handed out were a double foul on black 11 and the white player that goes down. Then double technicals for the shoving after the play.

If the C is "on ball" the L should be closing down, looking to rotate, and then doing so. I agree with you - I don't get why some officials don't rotate more frequently or why they hesitate rather than just *going*.

APG Sun Feb 23, 2014 02:26pm

In the 2nd play, it appears the lead is already looking across the lane. If your eyes are there for that long, you might as well go over and rotate.

As to the C, he's WAY too high on the play. There's no need for him to be above the FT line extended on this play as he would have had an open look from that position. He also wouldn't have taken himself away from the play at hand and may have been able to help get the first or second foul...

I'm also surprised at the nonchalantness displayed by the lead and center after the player gets tossed to the floor.

Nikki Sun Feb 23, 2014 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 924333)
if the c is "on ball" the l should be closing down, looking to rotate, and then doing so. I agree with you - i don't get why some officials don't rotate more frequently or why they hesitate rather than just *going*.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by apg (Post 924335)
in the 2nd play, it appears the lead is already looking across the lane. If your eyes are there for that long, you might as well go over and rotate.

As to the c, he's way too high on the play. There's no need for him to be above the ft line extended on this play as he would have had an open look from that position. He also wouldn't have taken himself away from the play at hand and may have been able to help get the first or second foul...

I'm also surprised at the nonchalantness displayed by the lead and center after the player gets tossed to the floor.

+1

JetMetFan Sun Feb 23, 2014 06:29pm

If I'm their supervisor/assignor my first question after seeing the video is, "You mean none of you saw Black #11 wrestling White #12 to the floor until White #12 hit the floor?

The conversation goes down hill from that point, starting with the no-call on the first play.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:09pm

I'm okay with just the OOB call on the first play. I can see deeming that incidental contact as both players go for the ball from about equal positions and neither is placed at a disadvantage.
However, one needs to then be alert and observe these two players (the ones who tangled on the first play) closely for the next few minutes.
In a 3-man crew, there shouldWorst thing that I saw this week was Dustin Hall screaming in Skip's ear with about 1:30 left and not getting penalized. Your crew was in the lockerroom preparing for the next contest. It wasn't a positive moment for the local officials group to tolerate that behavior. never be an unobserved competitive matchup.

AremRed Sun Feb 23, 2014 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 924368)
I'm okay with just the OOB call on the first play. I can see deeming that incidental contact as both players go for the ball from about equal positions and neither is placard at a disadvantage.
However, one needs to then be alert and observe these two players (the ones who tangled on the first play) closely for the next few minutes.
In a 3-man crew, there should never be an unobserved competitive matchup.

My thoughts as well.

Rich Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 924368)
I'm okay with just the OOB call on the first play. I can see deeming that incidental contact as both players go for the ball from about equal positions and neither is placard at a disadvantage.
In a 3-man crew, there should never be an unobserved competitive matchup.

Yeah, it's easy to say there should've been something in retrospect, but absent the subsequent nonsense...it's just an OOB call.

stick Sun Feb 23, 2014 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikki (Post 924332)

Exactly correct. Why the L didn't flex on this play is puzzling to me. :confused: