The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What does this mean? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/9734-what-does-mean.html)

Back In The Saddle Sat Aug 16, 2003 02:09am

So...I'm reading rule 4, studiously trying to take in every important word of the definitions. Suddenly, without warning, I stumble across this regarding interrupted dribble:

4.15.6.d Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.

Huh? What does this mean?

JugglingReferee Sat Aug 16, 2003 02:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
So...I'm reading rule 4, studiously trying to take in every important word of the definitions. Suddenly, without warning, I stumble across this regarding interrupted dribble:

4.15.6.d Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.

During an interrupted dribble, there is no player control.

Therefore, if a player who did have control of the ball, but now has an interrupted dribble, and steps out of bounds WITHOUT touching the ball, and then comes back inbounds and is the first to touch the ball, then it is not a violation.

JR & BktBallRef, am I right?

Jurassic Referee Sat Aug 16, 2003 05:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

During an interrupted dribble, there is no player control.

Therefore, if a player who did have control of the ball, but now has an interrupted dribble, and steps out of bounds WITHOUT touching the ball, and then comes back inbounds and is the first to touch the ball, then it is not a violation.

JR & BktBallRef, am I right?

You got it right,Mike. The player never violated the pertinent rule-R7-2-because the ball never went OOB and it was never touched by a player who was OOB. Case book play 7.1.1SitB explains the principle pretty well.

BktBallRef Sat Aug 16, 2003 09:24am

Yep, you got it Jugs! :)

Back In The Saddle Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:25pm

Thanks!

Nevadaref Sun Aug 17, 2003 03:14pm

Quote:

BITS,
It is there to counter 9-3 Note. The others have told you why and precisely how it makes an exception to it.

ChuckElias Sun Aug 17, 2003 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yep, you got it Jugs! :)
Where are Mother and Speed?