The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hate to ask this but.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97317-hate-ask-but.html)

Da Official Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51pm

Hate to ask this but....

Need help with this scenario. Rule and Case if available.

A1 ends dribble. B1 hits the ball into the air. A1 catches the ball. A1 starts a dribble and scores a lay up.

What do we have?

Rich Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 923591)

A1 ends dribble. B1 hits the ball into the air. A1 catches the ball. A1 starts a dribble and scores a lay up.

What do we have?

Two points?

Da Official Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57pm

Good one Rich....but what rule allows A1 to start a new dribble after the 1st one ended?

Rich Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 923597)
Good one Rich....but what rule allows A1 to start a new dribble after the 1st one ended?

The ball was knocked out of the player's hands. 9-5-2.

stick Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 923591)

What do we have?

Score 2 points for team A

Raymond Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 923597)

He lost PC when the defender hit he ball out of his hand. When he regains player control he is allowed to dribble.

Ask yourself this: What's the difference between your play and "A1 ends his dribble, attempts a pass, B1 blocks pass, A1 catches ball"?

Can A1 dribble in the 2nd scenario?

Da Official Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923599)
The ball was knocked out of the player's hands. 9-5-2.

Duh...9-5-2. Thank You! I did say I hated to ask this question right? :D

A little extra info...this scenario happened in a playoff game last night. I had a no call and the Coach B said it was a double dribble and asked why I didn't call it. I told the coach the defender hit the ball loose. The coach responded but it didn't hit the floor. I simply could not think of the rule to support the no call so that's why I came to the boards.

Thanks again....

Raymond Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 923606)
Duh...9-5-2. Thank You! I did say I hated to ask this question right? :D

...The coach responded but it didn't hit the floor. I simply could not think of the rule to support the no call so that's why I came to the boards.

Thanks again....

"Ok coach, but the defender still knocked the ball loose"

jTheUmp Wed Feb 19, 2014 03:34pm

Coach: but it didn't hit the floor.
Official: No, coach, it didn't. (then walk away)

Rich Wed Feb 19, 2014 05:29pm

Similar type thing:

Opening jump. Ball tipped by A1. Ends up hitting the floor. A1 retrieves ball. Coach goes nuts, says that the player can't catch the jump. Told him the jump ended when the ball touched the floor.

The rule's the rule.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 19, 2014 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923644)
Similar type thing:

Opening jump. Ball tipped by A1. Ends up hitting the floor. A1 retrieves ball. Coach goes nuts, says that the player can't catch the jump. Told him the jump ended when the ball touched the floor.

The rule's the rule.

I prefer to tell them that "the jump ball restrictions end when the ball hits the floor" as that seems to more clearly address their complaint. Sure, it means the same to you and I, but I think it helps with getting the coach to understand it.

Rich Wed Feb 19, 2014 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 923646)
I prefer to tell them that "the jump ball restrictions end when the ball hits the floor" as that seems to more clearly address their complaint. Sure, it means the same to you and I, but I think it helps with getting the coach to understand it.

He was fine with my response, actually. I think he was surprised that I actually had an answer for his complaint. Hell, I may have even used the word restriction in my response.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 19, 2014 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 923650)
He was fine with my response, actually. I think he was surprised that I actually had an answer for his complaint. Hell, I may have even used the word restriction in my response.

I'm sure many coaches are fine, but is always that one that will not know what the end of the jump ball implies and will still be a pain about it.