The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NC State/Clemson (W)...near blarge (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97290-nc-state-clemson-w-near-blarge-video.html)

JetMetFan Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39am

NC State/Clemson (W)...near blarge (video)

Watch the T, the L...and the Clemson bench :o

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hNgORu4YyrI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43am

PC foul, and involving primary defender. Good job of Trail refereeing the whole play.

Indianaref Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15am

I have PC as well, don't like that the outside official busted out with it.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58am

Technically this defender is the primary defender, but does she become a secondary defender (thus Lead's primary) by going under the pick?

This should be both officials holding and the Lead signalling, right?

bob jenkins Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923089)
Technically this defender is the primary defender, but does she become a secondary defender (thus Lead's primary) by going under the pick?

If you look up the NCAAW definition of Secondary Defender, you will have your answer.

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:55pm

Secondary Defender NCAA-W

Art 1. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender after that player has been beaten by an opponent because she failed to establish or maintain a guarding position. A defensive player is beaten when the offensive players's head an shoulders get past the defender. There are no secondary defenders when the offensive player with the ball is within the lower defensive box when she starts her move to the basket.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 923099)
If you look up the NCAAW definition of Secondary Defender, you will have your answer.

Thanks, but I am more interested in the Men's perspective.

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:49pm

PC foul. Not sure how anyone can see this different. Again, I think officials often default to giving the foul to the defender.

Peace

JetMetFan Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923108)

NCAAM is the same except for the last line about the LDB.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 16, 2014 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923108)

It's an NCAAW play, that's why I gave the answer I did.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 923137)
It's an NCAAW play, that's why I gave the answer I did.

I understood that :)

onetime1 Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:19pm

What is with the L official mechanic of just throwing both your hands in the air and then stopping your call? Kind of as if he then wanted to crawl inside a hole to disappear.

TriggerMN Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07am

Wouldn't have a blarge here anyways. AFAIK, in NCAAW, you get together and choose one, never both.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN (Post 923197)
Wouldn't have a blarge here anyways. AFAIK, in NCAAW, you get together and choose one, never both.

That's correct for this type of play.

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN (Post 923197)

I do not see why we would call it anything different. Both officials are still giving two different signals on the same play. Still looks very bad no matter what you end up doing. And I doubt that both coaches are going to be happy with the result. Just like when we have a double whistle and the one of the coaches "thinks" you have a different call than your partner. After all, there is no rules support for the term "Blarge." ;)

Peace