The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video request: BYU at St. Mary's 4:37 remaining in 2nd half -- no reset (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97288-video-request-byu-st-marys-4-37-remaining-2nd-half-no-reset.html)

Nevadaref Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00pm

Video request: BYU at St. Mary's 4:37 remaining in 2nd half -- no reset

Excellent example of the shot clock properly NOT resetting on a pass which strikes the ring.
Including the sound would be great because the announcer is dead wrong on this. Expected, but always amusing!

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:57am

video added

Here's the play (edited due to time restraints ;))

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rYG6wkRbwWI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jeremy341a Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57am

Sounds like Dorris Burke. If it is then it is not surprising she doesn't know what she is talking about.

twocentsworth Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27pm

It was NOT Doris Burke....the play-by-play announcer is Beth Mowins (who is fantastic - although NOT in this instance).

TriggerMN Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51pm

Check out the 33 second mark of the clip. If I were those officials I'd have spent a lot more time at the table going over things with the official scorer! Woo!:D

AremRed Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:49pm

Why did they initiate a review at all? They can tell the shot clock operator correctly didn't reset the clock....so why review?

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 923309)
Why did they initiate a review at all? They can tell the shot clock operator correctly didn't reset the clock....so why review?

They can review why the ball hit the rim. So maybe there was a question and possessions are too important to be stubborn. They got it right and that is what the rule is to do, review situations and confirm what they originally saw.

Peace

bob jenkins Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:04pm

Quote:

Maybe they are looking to see if it was a try or not.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:46pm

Quote:

Good question. I'm thinking their supervisor might have asked them the same thing. NCAA 11-2-1-c2 allows a review to determine whether the shot-clock was (im)properly set or reset. They're not allowed to review a play to determine whether the ball hit the rim due to a pass or a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 923264)
the play-by-play announcer is Beth Mowins (who is fantastic - although NOT in this instance).

She's a friend/grad school buddy. I sent her a note about it. I told her she answered her own question regarding why the shot-clock wasn't reset :)

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923323)
Good question. I'm thinking their supervisor might have asked them the same thing. NCAA 11-2-1-c2 allows a review to determine whether the shot-clock was (im)properly set or reset. They're not allowed to review a play to determine whether the ball hit the rim due to a pass or a try.

I bet the coach was asking that the clock should have been reset. The reality when they get a chance to look at a review, I have been told they try to watch other things too. Nice to follow the rule here, but this shut up the coach I am sure.

Peace