The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video request: Block/Charge BYU at St. Mary's 5:45 remaining in first half. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97286-video-request-block-charge-byu-st-marys-5-45-remaining-first-half.html)

Nevadaref Sat Feb 15, 2014 08:49pm

Video request: Block/Charge BYU at St. Mary's 5:45 remaining in first half.

When someone is able to post the video clip, we can debate the proper call.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:23am

video added

Here's the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tPIjQ4E75Ck?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

deecee Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:30am

Is the new college POE to do away with the PC foul??

bob jenkins Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:30am

Get out your credit cards.

Rich Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 923239)
Is the new college POE to do away with the PC foul??

They should've left the block/charge rules alone. I'm still failing to see what the problem was that this "solution" was supposed to address.

Welpe Mon Feb 17, 2014 09:41am

I had written this play down for further review but I think I got distracted washing baby bottles or something.

I'm shippin' up to Boston...

Nevadaref Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:35pm

While watching the game, I thought that it was an obvious player control foul. Seeing the replay verifies that. The defender could not have done better.

Thanks for posting the video for everyone on the forum. The video aspect that a couple of our posters have added to this site in the past couple of seasons has greatly increased the educational value here. Great work, guys!

Camron Rust Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:36pm

Travel? :rolleyes: :eek:

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:42pm

Wow.....that is a charge all the way.

Peace

AremRed Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:02pm

Charge it

Rob1968 Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:06pm

So, are some officials judging the "upward motion/movement" of a ballhandler by the movement of the hands and ball, while others are judging the upward moition/movement by watching the feet of the ballhandler? The more I see such calls, the greater the inconsistencies seem to be, from call to call . . .

BTW, I agree with a PC on this one.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:31pm

On behalf of the video providers, you're welcome. :)

Question for the NCAAM officials in the group. What sort of feedback have you been getting on Arbiter's Central Hub about the block/charge calls with the new guidelines? I've been curious about what the powers that be have been saying.

JRutledge Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:42pm

I do not think the rule has been well defined. I think if anything it has been very inconsistently applied because of that lack of definition or clarification of that definition. This was a stupid rule and was more reactionary to the media than coming up with a solid reasoning for this rule to be changed.

Peace

Raymond Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923318)
On behalf of the video providers, you're welcome. :)

Question for the NCAAM officials in the group. What sort of feedback have you been getting on Arbiter's Central Hub about the block/charge calls with the new guidelines? I've been curious about what the powers that be have been saying.

When in doubt, call a block.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 17, 2014 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 923355)
When in doubt, call a block.

That is fine, but there shouldn't have even been even the smallest doubt on this one.