The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Conduct of Official (Home Team) Scorer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97276-conduct-official-home-team-scorer.html)

bballref3966 Fri Feb 14, 2014 03:28pm

Conduct of Official (Home Team) Scorer

If the conduct of the home team's (official) scorer is too excessive that he needs to leave the table, what would be the appropriate course of action? The rule book I don't believe allows for us to charge a technical foul. Should we just make the visiting scorer the official scorer? Do that book's records now become the only records of significance?

What if the official scorer is the only scorer? Hold the game until home team finds someone? What do we do if we have no scorer left at the table?

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this rare situation.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 14, 2014 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 922840)
If the conduct of the home team's (official) scorer is too excessive that he needs to leave the table, what would be the appropriate course of action? The rule book I don't believe allows for us to charge a technical foul. Should we just make the visiting scorer the official scorer? Do that book's records now become the only records of significance?

What if the official scorer is the only scorer? Hold the game until home team finds someone? What do we do if we have no scorer left at the table?

Yes.

They will find someone.

JetMetFan Fri Feb 14, 2014 08:30pm

Quote:

The rule book I don't believe allows for us to charge a technical foul.

As well it shouldn't. Scorers and timers are table officials. They work with us during the game.

Adam Fri Feb 14, 2014 08:53pm

I'd be inclined to replace the scorer before switching books, unless I was suspicious there was also something wrong with the book.

twocentsworth Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:32am

Replace the official scorer with someone else. I would not use the "visiting" scorekeeper.....The home team can, and will, find someone else.

Raymond Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:36am

Quote:

I believe if you address the scorer's behavior directly and sternly, you will have no need to replace him/her afterwards.