The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa State-West Virginia (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97242-iowa-state-west-virginia.html)

eyezen Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55am

Iowa State-West Virginia

Kick and punch thrown in Iowa State Vs. West Virginia basketball game - YouTube

Perfect example of how a game can turn into shit in a instant...

Raymond Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LIWOIsVtjPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Raymond Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15am

1) Immediate FF2 on W10.

2) Video review should lead to FF2 on R22 for the kick.

3) Supervisor needs to find out why there was no whistle for that kick. The Lead is looking right at it, and the C most definitely should have saw it also.

JRutledge Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19am

What did they end up ruling?

Clearly a Flagrant 2 on the shot attempt.

I can see why a foul was not called on the rebound before, but a foul would have been very appropriate here.

Peace

zm1283 Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20am

Kung Fu Fight Breaks Out In Iowa State-West Virginia Blowout

I thought the title of this article was hilarious given how the fouls happened.

VTOfficial Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922306)
What did they end up ruling?

Clearly a Flagrant 2 on the shot attempt.

I can see why a foul was not called on the rebound before, but a foul would have been very appropriate here.

Peace

The ruling was a FF1 for the kick and an FF2 for the hit to the head.

BatteryPowered Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25am

Sorry...but I cannot see how a foul was NOT called on the rebound. It is clear that there was a kick to the abdomen. That is what one camp evaluator I had would call a "Grandma call"...the 95 year old grandma sitting in the top row of the gym knows that is a foul. A player is not entitled to go up vertically then kick his/her legs out horizontally to the floor and contact another player.

Getting the foul on the rebound would have stopped everything else.

Welpe Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 922309)
The ruling was a FF1 for the kick and an FF2 for the hit to the head.

Interesting.

I'm speaking HS here but I'd have a flagrant on both plays. That kick was intentional and completely unnecessary.

jTheUmp Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40am

On the Kick:
T looks to be straightlined.
C should have had a look at it, but he doesn't have the best angle either.
L could've had a crew-saver if he had called it, but I don't think he was looking in that direction.

APG Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:52am

The rebound and kick reminds me of this play:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/GMkPBkvosmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jeschmit Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05pm

I gotta say it... What about the missed travel on R22?

;)

I got FF2 on both of them. Kick was unnecessary and extreme, and the swing was obviously warranting an ejection.

ballgame99 Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25pm

I don't see any bad intentions in the OP kick. His foot got higher than it should have, his momentum carried him into the defender and made contact and got caught in the jersey and should have been called a foul, but he doesn't seem to really 'kick' the guy and the contact is low. I don't see a FF1 or intentional. The punch on the shooter is an easy FF2. You are winning by 30, why on Earth are you punching a shooter?

APG Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 922322)
I don't see any bad intentions in the OP kick. His foot got higher than it should have, his momentum carried him into the defender and made contact and got caught in the jersey and should have been called a foul, but he doesn't seem to really 'kick' the guy and the contact is low. I don't see a FF1 or intentional. The punch on the shooter is an easy FF2. You are winning by 30, why on Earth are you punching a shooter?

Because his teammate just got kicked in the chest and nothing was done about it.

ballgame99 Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 922323)
Because his teammate just got kicked in the chest and nothing was done about it.

Good point. :o

BatteryPowered Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 922322)

Since when do intentions come into play? Rarely does a player "intend" to commit a foul...it happens, but most are just normally occuring during the course of play.

Since I cannot possibly know the intentions of a player I can only make a decision based on what I see...and I see a flagrant foul on the rebounding kick. I also don't consider contacting a player above the waist with the sole of your foot to be "low contact".

I also do not care about the momentum of a player. Suppose A1 is running down the floor full speed toward B1 who clearly has LGP standing (NOT MOVING) half way between the FT line and the basket. A1 leaps into the air and releases a finger roll attempt then plows into B1. Are you going to ignore the contact? Clearly the momentum of A1 carried him through the air and into the stationary B1.