The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

incorrect backcourt call

If you are the only one in the gym who knows the rule, are you still right? Yes, but you still look like an idiot!

A1 shoots a three pointer and the miss takes a very long bounce. A2 touches (but does not control) the ball just before it bounces into the backcourt. Now, A1, A2, and A3 surround the ball in the backcourt but don't dare touch it, fearing a backcourt call. As B1 approaches, A2 grabs the ball and my partner calls a backcourt violation.

I huddled with my partner and reminded him that there is no team control on a rebound. We (well, mostly I) called an inadvertant whistle and gave the ball back to A, as A2 controlled the ball when the whistle blew and that is POI.

Was I correct?

Both teams, the crowd, the table, and my partner were all looking confused and wondering what the crazy ref was doing. It may been better just to go with the flow, especially if you tell me I was wrong.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

If you have knowledge, I have no problem with what you did. It is up to your partner to tell you something different or realize they are wrong and change the call. You did your part IMO.

I am assuming you were not the Trail in this play as well?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

No, I was lead. So I had to come from the baseline to make the correction. But the context was such that I knew there was no team control.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

If it's a rules issue, I think you have to fix it.

So items are a mix of rules and judgment, so it's hard to decide.

In this instance, fix it. Now if your partner "insists" that he has the right rule, one of you needs to give in and then deal with it later.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I've exhausted my desire to fix incorrect rule applications by partners.
We get the same paycheck, so if they don't want to study the rules, I'm not going to correct them on the court.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I suggest and let them change their call.

I just make a strong suggestion that the rule is misapplied/interpreted and let them sink or swim. We discuss it in the locker room afterward and I usually send them the rule and various interps (that this forum has so graciously supplied) and if I feel they are not receptive I include a note to our assigner.

I agree we do not need to be arguing with each other on the court. But the R should know the rule and how to handle it.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:29am
Go Blue

I had a similar situation Tuesday. No one knew the rule so no one complained. At half time, I told my partner he got it wrong as there was no team control yet. If the offending coach complained, I may have gone up to my partner and tell him what I saw and have him make the decision to change his call.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Smile

You provided the crew with the correct rule interpretation. If the "R" allows a crew to kick a rule...the infraction counts aginst the entire crew. Good Job!!!
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia View Post
You provided the crew with the correct rule interpretation. If the "R" allows a crew to kick a rule...the infraction counts aginst the entire crew. Good Job!!!
The problem with this is not even the R can overrule a partner.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

"If" i over ruled this i would have added a quick meeting at the scorer's table with both coaches to make sure everyone is on the same page......
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:16pm
(Something hilarious)

I like what you did. Give info. Provide clarity quickly on a rule. Let them stay with or change their call.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We get the same paycheck, so if they don't want to study the rules, I'm not going to correct them on the court.
I'm not sure what is up with you lately but I have found myself agreeing with a lot of what you have been saying.

I also find myself with mixed feelings here regarding this sentiment...
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I am in the same boat as you...District quaterfinal the other night, 3 man crew. L hands the ball to A1 for a backcourt endline throw in, I am in T. C (table side) calls a push on A2, reports the foul and points to the endline for a throw in by B...now in their frontcourt. L (who is R in this game) tells the players to line up for double bonus and I hear him tell C "there is no team control during a throw in so we are shooting" C emphatically responds with a "right, right...line 'em up boys" I just stood by because clearly they had their mind made up.

After the game I brought it up and both were argued with me...exactly as I figured they would and hence the reason I didn't bother during the game.

Last edited by egj13; Fri Feb 07, 2014 at 04:22pm.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

For me this question really depends on the level of play.

In summer league or lower level, I will address it at half time. Especially if no one is complaining.

In a higher level game, I will provide the rule to my partner and let him correct himself. I don't care if I'm the only one who knows the rule; frankly, that happens all the time.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 04:21pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I am in the same boat as you...District quaterfinal the other night, 3 man crew. L hands the ball to A1 for an endline throw in, I am in T. C (table side) calls a push on A2 and starts to the opposite end. L (who is R in this game) calls him back and tells the players to line up for double bonus and I hear him tell C "there is no team control during a throw in so we are shooting" C emphatically responds with a "right, right...line 'em up boys" I just stood by because clearly they had their mind made up.

After the game I brought it up and both were argued with me...exactly as I figured they would and hence the reason I didn't bother during the game.
Uh. I would do my absolute best to fix that one. In any game. At any level. Let alone a playoff game.