The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wish me luck! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97237-wish-me-luck.html)

jeremy341a Mon Feb 10, 2014 04:33pm

Wish me luck!

I am already lucky because the game is on even though one of the schools are out because of the snow. However I need more luck because tonight is #1 vs # 2 in the state. VG class 3

APG Mon Feb 10, 2014 05:13pm

Good luck http://forum.officiating.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

srp6977 Mon Feb 10, 2014 05:30pm

Have fun!

stick Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 922205)
I am already lucky because the game is on even though one of the schools are out because of the snow. However I need more luck because tonight is #1 vs # 2 in the state. VG class 3

Good luck and enjoy!!

Toren Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:09pm

Enjoy it. Good luck.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:21pm

In several areas that I've been, if the kids don't attend school, they can't play after-school activities.

Adam Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 922219)
In several areas that I've been, if the kids don't attend school, they can't play after-school activities.

That's how it is here. I've never had a game involving either team who had school cancelled due to snow.

pfan1981 Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:30pm

This is what I text my normal partner if we are at different games or right before tip off......

DFIU

grunewar Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 922220)
That's how it is here. I've never had a game involving either team who had school cancelled due to snow.

I had a "surprise" game a few weeks ago where the kids were out of school for four straight days due to snow and then had games that Fri night (even though school was still out). The gym was rocking as everyone had "cabin fever" after having been cooped up all week and needed a release! Two rivals. Great atmosphere in a packed gym!!

JRutledge Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54pm

How did t go? Or is it over yet?

Peace

zm1283 Tue Feb 11, 2014 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 922205)

Aren't you in MO? What schools was this?

jeremy341a Tue Feb 11, 2014 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922241)
How did t go? Or is it over yet?

Peace

From a fans standpoint it was a good game. There were several lead changes with the the final score being a 4 point game.

From an officiating standpoint it went well but there were a few instances where we made a mistake. I missed an OOB call where as the T on the press the girl dribbled on the sideline under pressure from two defenders. I had the rear defender and the girl dribbling between me and the ball. Apparently she dribbled on the sideline. Of course this happened within 2 feet of the opposing coach.

The big mistake (near mistake) of the night was the "almost blarge". I am T and girl is dribbling on the wing behind the 3 point line on my side. She drives to the middle of the floor and there is contact with her primary defender between the 3 point line and free throw line. I hit my whistle and put my fist in the air. I start the fist point the other way and about halfway through I see my partner coming out signalling block. I let my arm drop midway through punch. We come together. He tells me it was block bc on the side opposite of me defender extended her knee into the defender. He reports the foul. Coach wants explanation bc he seen me. He is given explanation. He takes that fine but was upset about girl dribbling on line, which wasn't my partners line. Of course these happened on back to back plays.

Other negative note of the night was a girl after catching the ball near the free throw line went down with what appeared to be a serious knee injury. As soon as her legs planted to stop, it bucked and she was in severe pain. I hope not but it looked to be a classic ACL injury.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 11, 2014 07:40pm

Why are you using the punch signal for a player control foul?
That's the signal for a team control foul.

If you signal and so does your partner, BY RULE, you report a double foul and resume at POI.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 11, 2014 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 922376)
Why are you using the punch signal for a player control foul?
That's the signal for a team control foul.

If you signal and so does your partner, BY RULE, you report a double foul and resume at POI.

They're only different fouls due to legacy....from the time when the penalties were not the same. Under the current rules, there is nothing about PC that isn't (or can't) be covered by TC. They're both fouls by a player of the team in control of the ball. PC is just specific to one of the players. PC does include the airborne shooter but that clause could just as easily be moved to the TC rule.

As for why someone punches for a PC foul, our state has approved that signal. No one thinks the hand behind the head signal is any good. It is the weakest signal in the book for one of the biggest calls.

Agree on the double foul result.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 11, 2014 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 922378)
The're only different fouls due to legacy....from the time when the penalties were not the same. Under the current rules, there is nothing about PC that isn't (or can't) be covered by PC. They're both fouls by a player of the team in control of the ball. PC is just specific to one of the players. PC does include the airborne shooter but that clause could just as easily be moved to the TC rule.

As for why someone punches for a PC foul, our state has approved that signal. No one thinks the head behind the hand signal is any good. It is the weakest signal in the book for one of the biggest calls.

Agree on the double foul result.

Been one of those days, huh? ;)