Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Some of you may be able to browse to the play here: ESPN3 -- Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech
And where exactly are we supposed to be browsing to?

Edit: for those who were curious, it happens at 6.2 seconds left in 2nd half.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 09, 2014 at 02:20am.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 02:22am
We don't rent pigs

First thing I noticed is the guy going up for the shot traveled.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
First thing I noticed is the guy going up for the shot traveled.
Thank you for getting this out of the way...now we can get back to the real discussion at hand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 02:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Thank you for getting this out of the way...now we can get back to the real discussion at hand.
It is secondary to the main discussion, yes, but seriously, it's there. Airborne player catches the ball and lands left, right, left.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is secondary to the main discussion, yes, but seriously, it's there. Airborne player catches the ball and lands left, right, left.
Secondary? It's not even tertiary or quaternary. It's not even on the radar. Again, thank you again for the obligatory travel post. The quota has been met, and now we can get back to the real discussion at hand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation being discussed:

Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 03:37am
Archaic Power Monger

One thing for sure, anything the fan said to set Smart off would have been heard by several people. If it was racial, I hope Tech does the right thing.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

From an ESPN report on the game:

Big 12 coordinator of officials Curtis Shaw told ESPN that the officials don't have jurisdiction to eject a player who is involved in an altercation with a fan.

"There is no precedent for that," Shaw said. "Our rules are for flagrant (foul) 1 or 2. We don't have grounds for dealing with a fan. We don't have a rule to get involved when the player is involved with a fan. We don't know what was said. The official, Doug Sirmons, didn't know what was said."

Shaw said anything involving a fan is up to the host school.

"That's up to the security of the home team and the conference," Shaw said. "We've never had a fan with a player incident before."
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Big 12 coordinator of officials Curtis Shaw told ESPN that the officials don't have jurisdiction to eject a player who is involved in an altercation with a fan.

"There is no precedent for that," Shaw said. "Our rules are for flagrant (foul) 1 or 2. We don't have grounds for dealing with a fan. We don't have a rule to get involved when the player is involved with a fan. We don't know what was said. The official, Doug Sirmons, didn't know what was said."

"That's up to the security of the home team and the conference," Shaw said. "We've never had a fan with a player incident before."
Since they haven't had an incident before, of course there would be no precedent. I would have been ok if they had set one and tossed the player and the fan. That is just completely unacceptable behavior from the player, but it's obvious that the fan said something to provoke the action. Having done it himself, I'm sure Mr. Shaw can't get that upset at his officials for removing fans.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I have to wonder what earned the T then. Judging by the timing, it's something he said to the ref.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have to wonder what earned the T then. Judging by the timing, it's something he said to the ref.

Just perusing the rule book, trying to find something that might fit:

Quote:
Rule 10 Sec 3 Art. 1 c - inciting undesirable crowd reaction.

I find it interesting that fighting does NOT specifically state it has to involve 2 players against EACH OTHER.

Quote:
Rule 10 Sec 5 Art. 2. - A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm still thinking that someday the light will go on -- nobody at that level is praised or rewarded for how well they can spot those kind of travels. The left foot touches almost simultaneously with the gather. Nobody's calling that. I'm not calling that in a boys HS game. It's too fine of a nit to pick.

Did someone steal your account and post that observation as a parody?
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:10am
Stop staring at me swan.

In other sports, this would be the same thing. You're not going to eject a player in football or baseball for their interactions w/ a fan. I have no problem w/ no ejection mainly because there's no rule support to eject.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:17am
NFHS Official

You can see the guy saying, "I'm sorry about that", and holding his hands up. He just can't do that.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
You can see the guy saying, "I'm sorry about that", and holding his hands up. He just can't do that.
My guess.
1. Fan says something offensive while Smart is down.
2. Smart confronts fan.
3. Fan says something dismissive, and Smart responds physically.