The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wackiness on final regular season game night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97216-wackiness-final-regular-season-game-night.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57am

Wackiness on final regular season game night

Anybody else notice there is more weirdness on the last night of the regular season every year? Some combination of teams ready for playoffs and teams ready to be done with a rough season brings out the worst somehow. A couple years ago I had a double flagrant tech. Last year just an oddball partner with oddball calls. Last night, one of my friends tossed a coach in his game. I didn't have that but lots of other unusual things:

I had an intentional foul for an elbow that was borderline flagrant, and one of my partners had a T for a player entering the court without being beckoned during a live ball. I also had some unsportsmanlike conduct by a player that I very easily could've handled with a T but went with a stop-and-stare followed by the coach disciplining her.

The weirdest part of all was during the senior night festivities just before we started the 15-minute clock for pre-game, the alarm system went off. Nobody moved for the exits and they just ignored it. Within a few minutes the alarm was silenced but the blinking emergency lights were still strobing when we were ready for starters and the anthem. The visiting coach didn't like it, so the game management found some towels to cover them up and we went ahead with the game. Strange.

deecee Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01am

In all honesty I can say that after my first couple of years most weird things just stopped. Part of that is when I sniff things in a game about to get funny, or out of control I do one thing. I nip it in the bud.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05am

Players / coaches / officials get more tired near the end of the season, and more fed up with the actions of the others. This leads to more Ts.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:30pm

Years ago the fire alarm went off during the second quarter of a boys' varsity game. We stopped the game and then two minutes later one of the sheriff deputies at the game said it was a false alarm and we started back up.

MTD, Sr.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:40pm

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

stick Fri Feb 07, 2014 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 921698)
Anybody else notice there is more weirdness on the last night of the regular season every year? Some combination of teams ready for playoffs and teams ready to be done with a rough season brings out the worst somehow. A couple years ago I had a double flagrant tech. Last year just an oddball partner with oddball calls. Last night, one of my friends tossed a coach in his game. I didn't have that but lots of other unusual things:

I had an intentional foul for an elbow that was borderline flagrant, and one of my partners had a T for a player entering the court without being beckoned during a live ball. I also had some unsportsmanlike conduct by a player that I very easily could've handled with a T but went with a stop-and-stare followed by the coach disciplining her.

The weirdest part of all was during the senior night festivities just before we started the 15-minute clock for pre-game, the alarm system went off. Nobody moved for the exits and they just ignored it. Within a few minutes the alarm was silenced but the blinking emergency lights were still strobing when we were ready for starters and the anthem. The visiting coach didn't like it, so the game management found some towels to cover them up and we went ahead with the game. Strange.

One time I had team A up by 40+ points. Team B calls time out with 10 seconds left. Their coach calls me over to tell me once the the ball is inbounded all of his players are coming off the bench -- just for comedy relief. It was wacky but it was a funny wacky. No Technical, we just let the clock run out. It was odd looking 13 players on defense!! :D

loners4me Fri Feb 07, 2014 04:36pm

Had a mouse run onto the court. Cheerleaders ran screeming....A dad from the stands jumps down and just stomps the bugger. Calmy looked at the bench and says "Anybody got a towel?"

BillyMac Fri Feb 07, 2014 08:57pm

I'm Glad That We Waited ...

Senior night. We had to wait about ten minutes for a senior's mom, who is running late, to show up. Coach tells me that now he knows why his player is always late to practice.

stiffler3492 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 921806)
Senior night. We had to wait about ten minutes for a senior's mom, who is running late, to show up. Coach tells me that now he knows why his player is always late to practice.

That's a good one.

Texas Aggie Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:59pm

Not basketball, but in football, the water sprinklers went off mid-3rd quarter for a few minutes. That was probably one of the weirder things in one of my games. However it was the first game of the season. Perhaps football and basketball are exactly the opposite in that respect!

amusedofficial Sat Feb 08, 2014 02:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 921742)
Years ago the fire alarm went off during the second quarter of a boys' varsity game. We stopped the game and then two minutes later one of the sheriff deputies at the game said it was a false alarm and we started back up.

MTD, Sr.

These days, game management should clear the gym according to established procedures when any kind of alarm goes off. Sitting around and waiting to see what it's about simply is no longer an option. Schools have established lockdown and evacuation procedures. Any alarm must be considered authentic and serious until clearly established otherwise.

Adam Sat Feb 08, 2014 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 921833)
These days, game management should clear the gym according to established procedures when any kind of alarm goes off. Sitting around and waiting to see what it's about simply is no longer an option. Schools have established lockdown and evacuation procedures. Any alarm must be considered authentic and serious until clearly established otherwise.

I have a hunch this isn't a universally applied standard.