The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Stanford-California Video Request (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97200-stanford-california-video-request-video.html)

VTOfficial Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20pm

Stanford-California Video Request (Video)

APG or Jet or whoever has the ability...

Could you please post the throw-in and subsequent foul at about the 1:56 mark of the second half?

Anyone have an offensive foul before the called foul?

The defensive foul led to a monitor review to determine whether they should upgrade or not. They stayed with the personal foul and did not upgrade.

AremRed Thu Feb 06, 2014 04:31pm

Some of you may be able to browse to the play here: ESPN3 -- Stanford vs. California

MathReferee Thu Feb 06, 2014 05:17pm

Should have called the offensive foul. Everything else after that seemed correct and well handled. I will say that the offensive foul did not seem as bad as the defensive player made it look. However, getting that call prevents the rest.

APG Fri Feb 07, 2014 04:42pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UpLwJTrMgbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BatteryPowered Fri Feb 07, 2014 04:50pm

Wow...even I would call that offensive foul. Did the defender embelish...sure, but don't most of them?

JRutledge Fri Feb 07, 2014 05:09pm

That looks like a lot of embellishment. I think I would have passed on the PC foul too.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Feb 07, 2014 07:10pm

No PC. Nice acting job by the defender. The offensive player touched the defender but most certainly didn't displace him.

Adam Fri Feb 07, 2014 09:10pm

No call on the pc, IMO.

BryanV21 Fri Feb 07, 2014 09:19pm

This is one of times when a defender oversells a possible PC foul, and it ends up costing him.

HokiePaul Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 921811)
This is one of times when a defender oversells a possible PC foul, and it ends up costing him.

Overselling didn't necessarily cost him ... the dumb retaliation bump did :)

johnny d Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55am

These two teams have a recent history of bad blood. Given that I would be inclined to call the PC foul to prevent things from escalating, even though I think the contact is minimal, the defensive player clearly embellished the severity of the contact, and in most situations I would have a no call. I guess you would say my PC call would be game specific, not necessarily play specific.

zm1283 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02am

No PC foul for me either.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 08, 2014 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 921853)
These two teams have a recent history of bad blood. Given that I would be inclined to call the PC foul to prevent things from escalating, even though I think the contact is minimal, the defensive player clearly embellished the severity of the contact, and in most situations I would have a no call. I guess you would say my PC call would be game specific, not necessarily play specific.

If it were that kind of situation, I'd call it a block. I'm calling the offense for a foul they didn't commit because the defender is being an ass.

JetMetFan Sat Feb 08, 2014 05:15pm

I have a PC, especially given the back story of their rivalry. The defender didn't do anything wrong/illegal on the initial contact and embellishing doesn't mean no foul was committed. If A1 is enough of a knucklehead to drop a shoulder into someone in that situation (+12, < 2:00) he deserves what he gets.

JugglingReferee Sat Feb 08, 2014 06:36pm

If such a thing was a POE, this is a great time to whip out the PC/T-for-embellishing double foul.

Think of the great calls made in the NHL where a penalty is called, along with a second one for diving.