The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket Interference or Not? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97174-basket-interference-not-video.html)

APG Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:15pm

Basket Interference or Not? (Video)

Was asked to post this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4dwNKTC4n70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stick Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 920984)
Was asked to post this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4dwNKTC4n70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No basket interference.

SNIPERBBB Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:29pm

Ball still looks to be over the ring to me.

tjones1 Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:52pm

What was called by the C? Looks like he called it but counted the basket??

SNIPERBBB Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 920997)

Clock was expiring, he counted the tap.

APG Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 920997)

The tap in was a buzzer beater to end the first half.

BillyMac Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:14pm

No Basket (A Tough Call) ...

Tough call in real time. In the slow motion reply, only after pausing the video a couple of times, we can see that a part of the ball is still inside the cylinder when it's touched by an offensive player, thus, offensive basket interference, no basket.

Adam Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 921002)
Tough call in real time. In the slow motion reply, only after pausing the video a couple of times, we can see that a part of the ball is still inside the cylinder when it's touched by an offensive player, thus, offensive basket interference, no basket.

If it takes slow motion, pausing, and a magnifying glass, it would be a good no-call.

BillyMac Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:18pm

Confuscius Says ...

When in doubt, don't be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921004)
If it takes slow motion, pausing, and a magnifying glass, it would be a good no-call.

.. as it would also be a good call if the official had decided to go that route. I'm not criticizing him one way, or the other.

deecee Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:36pm

I thought at full speed BI.

Raymond Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 921002)

Question: If part of the ball is over the outer edge of the ring, it that still considered "inside the cylinder"?

I hurriedly looked through the rule book, but I could not find what was defined as "inside the cylinder". Maybe tonight after the Super Bowl I'll do an more extensive search.

deecee Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 921009)
Question: If part of the ball is over the outer edge of the ring, it that still considered "inside the cylinder"?

I hurriedly looked through the rule book, but I could not find what was defined as "inside the cylinder". Maybe tonight after the Super Bowl I'll do an more extensive search.

I don't think "inside the cylinder" is a reference to the whole ball or part of the ball. Either the ball is inside or it isn't, and I would view that any part of the ball in the cylinder is cause for BI.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 02, 2014 04:10pm

Yes....the ball was still in the cylinder. In NFHS rules, that is all that matters.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 02, 2014 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921004)

Either way, you're making a call. Just that one of them involves counting it and the other cancels it.

Adam Sun Feb 02, 2014 04:15pm

Honestly, live, I'm waving this off and calling BI.