The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it is a block, what did the defender do wrong? I cannot think of anything that shows the defender was wrong in his movement.
Lost legal position and/or never had legal position to begin with.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Lost legal position and/or never had legal position to begin with.
Just like you (and others) and Jeff (and others) have different opinions seeing the same play, the C and L had different opinions. And, they only had once chance to watch it. It happens.

I've sat in meetings where official's supervisors have watched similar tapes and had diverging viewpoints.

As long as we know what to look for, we'll get more right. And, both sides have explained that they know what to look for.

There's no need to try to "win" this debate by convincing the other side. (directed generically)
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

If it is a block, what did the defender do wrong? I cannot think of anything that shows the defender was wrong in his movement.

Peace
He moved forward. Use the markings on the floor for reference.

When the 2 players were about 10' apart, the defender was about 3' above the top of the letters "ACC". When they were about 5' apart, one foot was near the "ACC", at the time of the collision, one foot was on the "ACC" and the other one still shuffling forward to try to match.

Block.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 01:06pm.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=maroonx;919658]1st quarter 7:16
One official called block on a duke player other official called charge on Miami player. 0nly 2 officials huddled. Ruled double foul. Miami gets throw- in on

According to the replay shown the L should be the primary and it would be his call. The C is secondary and after he blew his whistle he should have just waited. Of course NCAA might be different than how we call it for high school games. I wonder if the officials discussed this in their pre-game? That being said I see this as a block on the Duke defender but that's just hinsight--looking at the play in slow motion. If I was on the court as either the C or the L it's difficult to predict what I would have called in real time!!
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 03:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
1st quarter 7:16
One official called block on a duke player other official called charge on Miami player. 0nly 2 officials huddled. Ruled double foul. Miami gets throw- in on
According to the replay shown the L should be the primary and it would be his call. The C is secondary and after he blew his whistle he should have just waited. Of course NCAA might be different than how we call it for high school games. I wonder if the officials discussed this in their pre-game? That being said I see this as a block on the Duke defender but that's just hinsight--looking at the play in slow motion. If I was on the court as either the C or the L it's difficult to predict what I would have called in real time!!
Those 2 officials have worked dozens of times together, and both have officiated Final Fours. A brain fart on the part of the C for not holding his preliminary.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2014, 01:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

For close plays like this one, I have found that something will be obvious that would indicate that the play is a block.

I didn't see anything that is obviously a block. I did see something that tends to a PC, although it wasn't a clear-cut case for that either. In the end, I've got a PC.

I think the L gets the first crack at this one. I agree with bob that a no-call is wrong, so if I'm the C, I'm stepping in only if the L doesn't. I definitely don't see this as a "crew call" that was mentioned in another thread.