The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fed 6-7 Dead Ball question. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97069-fed-6-7-dead-ball-question.html)

DRJ1960 Sun Jan 19, 2014 02:35pm

Fed 6-7 Dead Ball question.

Surely I am missing something....

A1 releases a shot. While the ball is in the air A2 fouls B1. Ball enters basket after the whistle has sounded to call the foul.

Art 4 states the ball is dead when A2 commits the foul.

The exceptions section only states that the basket is counted when the opponent commits the foul.

Therefore...it appears that you would disallow the basket. Spot throw in for B.

(Happened last night..."Big Dogs" counted basket and awarded a spot throw-in to B----which penalized B by removing the option to run the end-line.).

just another ref Sun Jan 19, 2014 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 919136)

A1 releases a shot. While the ball is in the air A2 fouls B1. Ball enters basket after the whistle has sounded to call the foul.

The exceptions section only states that the basket is counted when the opponent commits the foul.

(Happened last night..."Big Dogs" counted basket and awarded a spot throw-in to B----which penalized B by removing the option to run the end-line.).

If the try is in flight, this is not a team control foul, so the foul does not cause the ball to become dead.

DRJ1960 Sun Jan 19, 2014 03:03pm

obviously..:o thanks

Nevadaref Sun Jan 19, 2014 06:18pm

This is a foul during a live ball due to the try in flight.

Also if the throw-in spot will be along the endline, the non-scoring team may run. It would only be a spot throw-in on the sideline. Throw-in location is determined by the location of the foul.

stick Mon Jan 20, 2014 04:11pm

Quote:

Good bucket. Team B gets the ball out of bounds nearest the spot of the foul.

frezer11 Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:08pm

Quote:

Team B wasn't penalized here, the spot throw-in was a result of a foul called on Team A. The only situation where Team B might get penalized somewhat (not related to OP) is when a free throw shooter puts up an airball. In that case, B has a spot throw-in, as it follows a violation. I still don't even think that penalizes them, as they are rewarded the ball with no rebounding effort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919172)
Also if the throw-in spot will be along the endline, the non-scoring team may run. It would only be a spot throw-in on the sideline. Throw-in location is determined by the location of the foul.

I don't think they can run. My rule book seems to be MIA for the last couple days, so unfortunately I can't look this one up, but after a foul it should be a spot throw in, I don't recall ever seeing an exception to that.

just another ref Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 919357)
I don't think they can run. My rule book seems to be MIA for the last couple days, so unfortunately I can't look this one up, but after a foul it should be a spot throw in, I don't recall ever seeing an exception to that.

7-5-7b: A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 919357)

See 7.5.7A (it has GT instead of a "made basket" but the effect is the same), and 7.5.7E (involving a 3-point attempt), and 7.5.7F (involving a FT).

Rob1968 Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 919359)
7-5-7b: A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.

JAR's reference deals with a throw-in situation, and a foul by the non-throw-in team.

Case Book 6.7 Sit B deals with a free throw by A1 that was successful, a foul by A2, after the shot was in the air, and states, ". . . in which case B will throw-in from out of bounds anywhere along the endline where the free throw was scored."

So, the exception is meant to avoid an unintended penalty - spot throw-in rather than an full endline throw-in - to the offended team, and is understood to be the procedure for a field goal, and a free throw.

frezer11 Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 919359)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 919360)
See 7.5.7A (it has GT instead of a "made basket" but the effect is the same), and 7.5.7E (involving a 3-point attempt), and 7.5.7F (involving a FT).

I stand corrected. Thank you!