The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa State-Oklahoma Block/Charge (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97015-iowa-state-oklahoma-block-charge-video.html)

JetMetFan Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12am

Iowa State-Oklahoma Block/Charge (video)

Thoughts?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HJcgor4Iuyg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15am

I am not so sure this is a block/charge play. It looks like this might have been called for more verticality purposes, then a block or charge being considered. That being said if this was a block/charge play, then I have a no call. But it is hard to tell without some indication of the signal from the official at the table.

Peace

Indianaref Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23am

I have no call. Defender was legal, outside the RA and even jumped to defend the goal.

BryanV21 Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46am

I'm with JRut.

I don't see a block or a charge. Contact doesn't necessarily mean a foul should be called. People will tell you basketball is not a contact sport, to which I say "fooey" (or maybe a more colorful word, lol). Sure, it's not a collision sport like football, but there is plenty of legal contact going on. I use the word "displacement" instead of "contact".

As far as the foul, the defender did extend his arms forward a bit and out of his verticality. So I have no problem with that foul call.

Pantherdreams Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53am

I'll say it before someone else does. Travel.

There now that it is out of the way if this is just a block/charge call I've got nothing on the defender probably not enough displacement to call a charge either so no call. If they are going on the hands and arms that is a different issue. No indication on vid.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 14, 2014 01:09pm

If it is a choice over block vs. charge...

NFHS: Charge. The defender got to the spot with two feet down facing the opponent and stopped moving before the shooter left the floor.

NCAA: Block, while the defender got to the spot with two feet down facing the opponent and stopped moving before the shooter left the floor, he didn't do so before the upward motion started.

srp6977 Tue Jan 14, 2014 04:28pm

I am with Pantherdreams. It is a clear travel before the contact. If ignoring the travel I go with nothing. Defender did nothing wrong.

JRutledge Tue Jan 14, 2014 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by srp6977 (Post 918370)
I am with Pantherdreams. It is a clear travel before the contact. If ignoring the travel I go with nothing. Defender did nothing wrong.

I do not see a clear travel at all. I see a gather in the air and then the left foot coming down first and the right following. If that is the case that is not a travel. If you are suggesting otherwise, then say why it was a travel. It is close, but not clear. And if it is that close, I do not like to have a travel call on these kinds of plays.

Peace

OKREF Tue Jan 14, 2014 04:39pm

Play on

HawkeyeCubP Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 918309)
If it is a choice over block vs. charge...
NCAA: Block, while the defender got to the spot with two feet down facing the opponent and stopped moving before the shooter left the floor, he didn't do so before the upward motion started.

I completely disagree. Defender looks NCAA-M legal in real time, and is clearly legal when pausing at :07 and :08, and then again at :17 and :18.

Pantherdreams Wed Jan 15, 2014 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 918371)
I do not see a clear travel at all. I see a gather in the air and then the left foot coming down first and the right following. If that is the case that is not a travel. If you are suggesting otherwise, then say why it was a travel. It is close, but not clear. And if it is that close, I do not like to have a travel call on these kinds of plays.

Peace

We can disagree. It looks to me as if the gather is happening with one foot on the floor which would mean that the landing for a "jump stop" needs to be two feet simultaneous and that is not close enough. Not to get into the debate again about travelling but round here we are getting that one.

In terms of the charge for NCAA men can someone clarify how the upward shooting motion is defined?. ie. How on steps (or a power move in this situation) do i know when a player is not just picking up the ball/ when they are lifting the ball to a triple threat position and when they are comign up to shoot. It seems to me that the more generous you are with this not only is it more difficult on the defense but could allow the offense to be rewarded for having poor technique/footwork.

HokiePaul Wed Jan 15, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 918275)
I am not so sure this is a block/charge play. It looks like this might have been called for more verticality purposes, then a block or charge being considered.

That's what I thought on first look.

Also, is the Center taught to mirror the call by the Lead at this level? If not, it appears that both the Lead and the Center had the same call. From the floor angle, it must have appeared as if the defender made contact with the arm of shooter. I can't imagine that both officials would have a block/charge call here.

Rich Wed Jan 15, 2014 01:59pm

You know, there's a reason that these (whether they are technically traveling or not) are *never* called and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the officials working the game.

Raymond Wed Jan 15, 2014 04:37pm

If I'm the C on that play, I have a travel. I've called it before. Now, if I'm working for Curtis Shaw, I call that a travel, then he calls me and says "I don't want that called", then I won't call it in his games.

But for now, it's a travel in my games.

Rich Wed Jan 15, 2014 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 918510)
If I'm the C on that play, I have a travel. I've called it before. Now, if I'm working for Curtis Shaw, I call that a travel, then he calls me and says "I don't want that called", then I won't call it in his games.

But for now, it's a travel in my games.

I'm with you. I'm calling it, too. But there's play after play shown like this all season long and travels, for the most part, aren't called. These are very good officials. Just doesn't seem like all of them are simple misses.