The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 58
Video Request: Auburn-Missouri - Last play of the game

If someone could post the video of the last play of the Auburn-Missouri game, it looks like either a travel or OOB call should have been made with a few ticks left on the clock.
__________________
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 671
While you are at it get the block/charge at 1:00 of the second half. Thought it was a block.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
video added

Here are the plays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
If someone could post the video of the last play of the Auburn-Missouri game, it looks like either a travel or OOB call should have been made with a few ticks left on the clock.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
While you are at it get the block/charge at 1:00 of the second half. Thought it was a block.
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,891
First play is a travel. No question. I think the official was too close trying to get out of the way.

Second play I have no problem with the charge. The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:48pm
Play through it!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First play is a travel. No question. I think the official was too close trying to get out of the way.

Second play I have no problem with the charge. The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it.

Peace
100% agree
__________________
"I sincerely hope there is basketball in heaven!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:54pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,477
Coaches tell their players to play until you hear a whistle or horn. Officials have to officiate the same way. This guy clearly thought "game over" and stopped officiating.

As for the block/charge call, I have a hard time judging an official for their call. It looks to me like a block, as the defender got into position late, but being on the floor only a few feet from the play is much different than watching it on TV.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 02:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
The second play is a block and it's not really that close considering other plays that have been called blocks this year.

Have I mentioned the new rule is awful?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 03:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,123
Under the new NCAA block/charge parameters, that was a block.

Under HS rules, that was a charge.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 03:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,823
Suspension coming

Sad to see the official give up on the play like that.
When the right foot touches the floor it is simultaneously both traveling and an OOB violation. There is 0.7 on the clock at this point.

I have a charge on the 2nd play. If that's going to be a blocking foul by rule, then defenders have no reasonable amount of protection anymore and coaches will be teaching their players to run everyone over.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 574
The official was too close to the sideline play to see the travel and the out-of-bounds violation.

As for the block/charge play, that's an easy block under the revised NCAA-M rules this year. The official HAS to get this correct (especially w/1:05 left on the clock).
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sad to see the official give up on the play like that.
When the right foot touches the floor it is simultaneously both traveling and an OOB violation. There is 0.7 on the clock at this point.

I have a charge on the 2nd play. If that's going to be a blocking foul by rule, then defenders have no reasonable amount of protection anymore and coaches will be teaching their players to run everyone over.
They already are, and on the other side, you see many players just getting out of the way and giving the easy lay-up. I think that's part of what the NCAA wants.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:51pm
Eschew obfuscation.
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Under the new NCAA block/charge parameters, that was a block.

Under HS rules, that was a charge.
Under NCAAW rules this is a charge as well...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:58pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Under the new NCAA block/charge parameters, that was a block.

Under HS rules, that was a charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
When the right foot touches the floor it is simultaneously both traveling and an OOB violation. There is 0.7 on the clock at this point.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 650
I was watching the game, and as it ended was asking myself why the other two officials didn't come together to talk about the play to make sure they got it right. Instead, they all just ran off the court.

Not sure if there is any NCAA protocol for a situation like that. Apparently, there isn't.

Any of you NCAA guys have further input?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I was watching the game, and as it ended was asking myself why the other two officials didn't come together to talk about the play to make sure they got it right. Instead, they all just ran off the court.

Not sure if there is any NCAA protocol for a situation like that. Apparently, there isn't.

Any of you NCAA guys have further input?
It's not a monitor review item (I don't think), and neither of the other officials would have a look at the line.

On the travel, you (as one of the other officials) need to decide if you had a good enough look at it and if it was a "crew saving" call. If so, then make it. don't get together after the fact to try to correct it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vid request missouri at nc state jeremy341a Basketball 33 Wed Jan 01, 2014 01:44pm
Video request: Michigan/Duke-OOB, scuffle, technical, resumption of play (Clip Added) fiasco Basketball 18 Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23am
Pacers vs Heat - Game 5 (Video Request) grunewar Basketball 49 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28am
Video request: OVC Title game Murray St. vs. Belmont (Video Added) JRutledge Basketball 8 Sat Mar 23, 2013 06:18pm
Video request: Memphis/Xavier inbounds play Nevadaref Basketball 12 Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:35pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1