The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Associational Debate (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96959-associational-debate.html)

NCHSAA Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26pm

Associational Debate

Off the ball during live play: A2 attempts to strike B2 with a fist or elbow. NO CONTACT is made.

What do you have? Our association has debated this for a while to the point of resurrecting the dead horse.

deecee Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29pm

Flagrant and an ejection. A punch doesn't have to land to be deemed a flagrant.

johnny d Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:30pm

Debated, why? Seems pretty simple and straightforward.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917258)
Flagrant and an ejection. A punch doesn't have to land to be deemed a flagrant.

deecee:

I have a question for you. A Flagrant what?

MTD, Sr.

RookieDude Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 917260)

I would guess they are debating Flagrant Technical Foul or Flagrant Foul.

Could change who shoots FT's and where ball is put back into play.

Adam Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 917268)
I would guess they are debating Flagrant Technical Foul or Flagrant Foul.

Could change who shoots FT's and where ball is put back into play.

I hope that's what they were debating, but there's really not much to debate here.

Without contact, it has to be a flagrant T.
With contact, I'd still probably go with a T but wouldn't fault anyone for going with a flagrant personal.

bballref3966 Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50pm

Pretty straightforward, no?

Rule 4-18

Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:

ART.*1 . . . An attempt to strike, punch or kick by using a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.

Rule 10-3-8

A player shall not be charged with fighting.

I've got a flagrant T, DQ, two shots and throw-in at the division line.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:53am

Agree with the above...flagrant T.

asdf Wed Jan 08, 2014 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 917256)
Off the ball during live play: A2 attempts to strike B2 with a fist or elbow. NO CONTACT is made.

What do you have? Our association has debated this for a while to the point of resurrecting the dead horse.

In all honesty, if it's come to this... "debating for a while", it reflects poorly on the interpreter or those who are in charge at your association.

While it should not have to come to this, a simple request for clarification/ruling from your state interpreter would put this to bed........

....and if it doesn't, see the first sentence above......

deecee Wed Jan 08, 2014 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 917265)
deecee:

I have a question for you. A Flagrant what?

MTD, Sr.

T. Its still a fight in my book. Maybe one sided, but a fight nevertheless.

NCHSAA Wed Jan 08, 2014 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 917260)

Yes, straightforward in the sense of Flagrant, but the debate occurs between Technical vs. Personal here. Told the guys I would poll the intellectual audience here.

johnny d Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:13pm

I would like to hear the reasoning used by those advocating for a flagrant personal foul on a play that doesn't involve contact. Again, this debate should have lasted as long as it took for someone to get out their rule book and quote the rule. It should have been over in less than a minute.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:24pm

Honestly, the OP should be an utter no-brainer. It HAS to be a flagrant, and CAN'T be a personal - Flagrant T is obvious.

That said - a punch WITH contact is more debatable - I feel it should still be Flagrant T - but I suspect there will be some, maybe half even, that would call it a Flagrant Foul - and I can't fault them for that.

johnny d Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 917334)
Honestly, the OP should be an utter no-brainer. It HAS to be a flagrant, and CAN'T be a personal - Flagrant T is obvious.

That said - a punch WITH contact is more debatable - I feel it should still be Flagrant T - but I suspect there will be some, maybe half even, that would call it a Flagrant Foul - and I can't fault them for that.

You cant fault them because by rule they would be correct. Fouls that involve contact while the ball is live are by definition personal fouls.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 917335)
You cant fault them because by rule they would be correct. Fouls that involve contact while the ball is live are by definition personal fouls.

Yet, by rule, fighting is defined to be a technical foul. And a punch is defined to be fighting. Therefore a punch, without qualification, is a T, by rule.

So you have two rules that contradict. When that occurs, it is usually the more specific rule that takes precedence. I see the definitions of fighting and punching as being very specific as opposed to the very general personal foul definition.

Additionally, does it make any sense at all for the penalty for a somewhat greater offense (swing and hit) to be less severe than the penalty for the less (swing an miss).

Ultimately, it is the swing that is penalized under the T, not the subsequent hit.

All together, I believe the T is the "right" result given the two conflicting rules.