The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travelling: What do you think of this? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96950-travelling-what-do-you-think.html)

deecee Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:20pm

Travelling: What do you think of this?

Just received this as part of a longer email.

Using up time at end of a quarter or game when an offensive player, staying still, in essence throws the ball back and forth from one hand to another. It is the ending of a dribble each timethe ball goes from one hand to the other. Officials are observing the play and ruling this Illegal act as being Legal.

HokiePaul Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:23pm

Got this too and I can't figure out what exactly they are talking about. Can't visualize the play they are talking about.

PG_Ref Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917072)

Using up time at end of a quarter or game when an offensive player, staying still, in essence throws the ball back and forth from one hand to another. It is the ending of a dribble each timethe ball goes from one hand to the other. Officials are observing the play and ruling this Illegal act as being Legal.

Legal play ...

Caseplay
4.44.3 SITUATION D:

(a) A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor; or (b) A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it.

RULING: Legal in (a), but a traveling violation in (b). In (b), since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is illegal. (9-4)

rockyroad Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:31pm

That's ridiculous. The definition of a dribble and how a dribble is started both include the phrase " to the floor" (or similar wording). Since the ball isn't being thrown/pushed/batted to the floor, it isn't an illegal dribble.

Who sent this email out? I certainly hope it was not an assignor or State Interpreter!:eek:

PG_Ref Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 917078)
That's ridiculous. The definition of a dribble and how a dribble is started both include the phrase " to the floor" (or similar wording). Since the ball isn't being thrown/pushed/batted to the floor, it isn't an illegal dribble.

Who sent this email out? I certainly hope it was not an assignor or State Interpreter!:eek:

LOL ... probably a coach who wanted an illegal dribble called.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:38pm

Quote:

Agree. I hate when people send out such rulings from positions of the authority. It basically undermines just about any credibility they may have had when the exact case is in the books and has the exact opposite ruling.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917072)

"Dear sir:

Your email was apparently forwarded to me in error. I deal with Basketball, where the act you describe is legal.

Since you confidently state that the act is illegal, I can only assume that you were watching a sport other than basketball. If you let me know which sport that was, I will forward the email to the appropriate person."

JRutledge Mon Jan 06, 2014 04:55pm

I have heard over the years this example used by coaches to try to suggest that any fumble should be called a travel because they could not give a rulebook reason for why it was not a travel.

Peace

deecee Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:02pm

Quote:

Coordinator of IAABO interpreters.

rockyroad Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917091)

Holy.

Crap.

I would love to hear the reasoning being used in that interpretation if he/she ever explains it.

tjones1 Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:23pm

Ask'em what's illegal about the act.

PG_Ref Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:26pm

A clarification has been requested from IAABO ... please stay tuned.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917091)

For us sutherners ... which state is the I in that? Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Idaho? (Or is my USA-ism showing? Iraq? Iran? Ivory Coast? Iceland? India? Indonesia? Ireland? Israel? Italy? (Um ... I think that's all of them...))

PG_Ref Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 917100)
For us sutherners ... which state is the I in that? Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Idaho? (Or is my USA-ism showing? Iraq? Iran? Ivory Coast? Iceland? India? Indonesia? Ireland? Israel? Italy? (Um ... I think that's all of them...))

More like International ... International Association of Approved Basketball Officials.

Adam Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 917097)
Holy.

Crap.

I would love to hear the reasoning being used in that interpretation if he/she ever explains it.

I'm guessing we'll see a retraction before an explanation.

I got the email, too, and emailed our local rules interpreter to see how we should be calling this here. ;)

Raymond Mon Jan 06, 2014 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 917074)
Got this too and I can't figure out what exactly they are talking about. Can't visualize the play they are talking about.

I live in Virginia also, but fortunately I have not received such a ridiculous email. What are the origins?

deecee Mon Jan 06, 2014 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 917098)
Ask'em what's illegal about the act.

i already sent my email to my interpreter with the case play as well as the wording about how a dribble is defined.

Will let you know when I hear back.

Adam Mon Jan 06, 2014 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917111)
I live in Virginia also, but fortunately I have not received such a ridiculous email. What are the origins?

Came from IAABO directly. Check your SPAM.

HokiePaul Mon Jan 06, 2014 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917111)

I'm in Northern VA. As others stated, it was a mass email tied to IAABO. My association must have signed everyone else up, or I got on their mailing list somehow--still fairly new so not sure exactly.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21pm

Mark, Jr., and I received the same email this afternoon. The email came from IAABO Headquarters and was sent to all IAABO members. I cannot believe it was included because every basketball officials knows that this is not traveling.

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46pm

My boards are members of IAABO, but I personally am not. Keeps me from being assigned to games in Connecticut. :D

BillyMac Tue Jan 07, 2014 07:08am

We'd Never Let You Past The Border ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917154)
Keeps me from being assigned to games in Connecticut.

Varsity fee: $91.32. Added bonus: All the taxes that you could afford to pay, plus more.

PG_Ref Tue Jan 07, 2014 09:13am

Clarification from IAABO:

The item was not intended to address standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to another, which is legal. I am guilty of not being as clear as I had intended to be. I hope this effort clears your concern up. Very seldom do I observe a player standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to the other. The concern with officials and officiating is that they watch a player begin and end 4, 5, 6, 7, dribbles and do not rule a violation.....I see that on a very regular basis. The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Situation:
End of quarter & end of game...little time remaining. Team wants to consume some time prior to progressing. Usually the "point Guard" has the ball he/she:
Bends his/her knees, bends at the shoulders, instead of standing and holding the ball. Player pushes/bounces the ball from one hand to the other hand,
palms the ball, ball comes to rest in/on a hand/ (ends the dribble) should be ruled a palming violation. Player immediately he/she pushes/bounces the back to the original hand. Palms the ball. Ball comes to rest in/on the hand (ends this second dribble). At times this action continues several times. Officials simply observe and rule this illegal repeated act as being legal.

Welpe Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05am

Smells like...CYA.

Adam Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 917174)

The item was not intended to address standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to another, which is legal. I am guilty of not being as clear as I had intended to be. I hope this effort clears your concern up. Very seldom do I observe a player standing and tossing/throwing/passing the ball from one hand to the other. The concern with officials and officiating is that they watch a player begin and end 4, 5, 6, 7, dribbles and do not rule a violation.....I see that on a very regular basis. The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.
Situation:
End of quarter & end of game...little time remaining. Team wants to consume some time prior to progressing. Usually the "point Guard" has the ball he/she:
Bends his/her knees, bends at the shoulders, instead of standing and holding the ball. Player pushes/bounces the ball from one hand to the other hand,
palms the ball, ball comes to rest in/on a hand/ (ends the dribble) should be ruled a palming violation. Player immediately he/she pushes/bounces the back to the original hand. Palms the ball. Ball comes to rest in/on the hand (ends this second dribble). At times this action continues several times. Officials simply observe and rule this illegal repeated act as being legal.

I'm with Welpe.

HokiePaul Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 917174)
The situation in the memo was intending to address the player who begins a dribble by throwing/bouncing the ball toward the opposite hand and"catches"/palms the ball, which ends the dribble.

Wish they had a video example of what is seen "on a regular basis" that officials are missing. I tried to find an example on video somewhere and all I could find was this exagerated example of what I think they are talking about(first 10 seconds).
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ICiuIiVq08k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

asdf Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 917176)
Smells like...CYA.

And a poor one to boot....

Camron Rust Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45pm

The clarification is just as wrong as the original release. :eek:

EDIT...unless he was trying to say this was just a simple dribble with a lot of carries but pushing it to the other hand doesn't sound like a dribble.

rockyroad Tue Jan 07, 2014 02:33pm

Interesting clarification...I basically read it as

"Oops. After having several hundred of you tell me I am wrong, what I really meant was this situation which is entirely different from what I sent out before."

And, even in the clarification...I honestly don't think I have ever seen any player doing this so exaggeratedly that it needed to be called.

Adam Tue Jan 07, 2014 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 917190)
The clarification is just as wrong as the original release. :eek:

EDIT...unless he was trying to say this was just a simple dribble with a lot of carries but pushing it to the other hand doesn't sound like a dribble.

The clarification references "bouncing" so I think he's trying to say it's a situation of repeated dribbles with the dribbler grabbing the ball with one hand between a few dribbles.

Frankly, I've never seen this, and it's a stretch for me to think it is what he meant in the initial email.

I haven't seen his clarification, however: only the initial email.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 07, 2014 03:03pm

I've never seen the action described in the clarification - not once. And I'm with Rocky on the explanation of the unclear clarification.

amusedofficial Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14pm

It's from a long, rambling e-mail

This is from a rambling email sent to IAABO members in which he claims as many as 66 calls a night (or one every 36 seconds) are being blown in your typical game.

Here are some of the other points in this missive:

"Substitution – substitutes are not to be admitted (beckoned-in) until the Timer sounds the HORN. The Official Scorer & Timer determine when a substitute should be admitted/beckoned-in. Don’t override the Scorer & Timer."

Yes, boys and girls. The home team, through its employed, untrained scorer, gets to decide when substitutions are allowed. So if the home book decides it's inappropriate for the high scoring visiting player who has been sitting with 4 personals to come back in with the game tied and 2 minutes left, we're supposed bow to their untrained wisdom, even though Official Scorer & Timer [sic] is never mentioned in 3-3. Neither, for that matter, is the horn. On the basis of this I presume that the Official Scorer & Timer (such as some of those who have posted here over the past couple of years) should also have sole responsibility for calling T's for not reporting.

Apparently, we just plain stink when it comes to fouls...

"*Observations find very obvious 2-3 dozen contact situations per game where Illegal contact
is ruled as being Legal (no-whistle) or Legal contact is ruled as being Illegal contact (wrongly penalized by inaccurate ruling)."

And we're not so hot on traveling either...
"*Observations find upwards of 20-30 situations per game where Legal use of the pivot foot is rule Illegal and Illegal use of the pivot foot ruled Legal. The result is a possession lost when it shouldn’t be and a possession maintained when it shouldn’t be. SERIOUS INJUSTICE!!!!!"

So, if the math is right, we're blowing 44-66 calls/nocalls every night! If we're wrong so often, maybe coaches should only be ejected on a third direct T since they are apparently correct when they take animated and profane note of our apparently non-stop mistakes.

On the bright side, there is apparently a lot of competition for "the worst reffed game ever," a stat on which I always thought I was the clubhouse leader.

BillyMac Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:46pm

Tryin' To Make A Livin' And Doin' The Best I Can ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 917255)
... rambling ... we're blowing 44-66 calls/nocalls every night.

Rambling? You bet. I thought the same exact thing when I read the email. I can't write to save my life, but you can certainly bet that if I were to send out an email "blast" to thousands of IAABO members, I would have put a lot more time, and effort, into its editing. I've seen texting from teenagers that looks better than the email in question.

The email mentions that many of these "blown" calls were observed in Maine. Someone certainly must be doing a poor job of educating IAABO officials in The Pine Tree State. Wait? I'm being told ... Who? Coordinator of Interpreters? From which state? Never mind.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 917255)
This is from a rambling email sent to IAABO members in which he claims as many as 66 calls a night (or one every 36 seconds) are being blown in your typical game.

You'd think that IAABO would only let trained officials send out announcements to their members.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 08, 2014 08:44am

I'd like to give him(?) the benefit of the doubt and assume that the 66 missed calls are from all the games on a given night. Maybe that's a baker's dozen, so 5 or so per game.

I'm not sure I can do that, though.

deecee Wed Jan 08, 2014 04:20pm

This was the response I received.

As you, I and all know...one can not toss the ball from one hand to another. I can not recall the last time I have seen that occur. It would never an area of concern.

Even though I did re-read 3 times, I did not notice that i should have included the word "bounce": Additionally, it is not a traveling violation...it simply was placed below the Heading.

The area of concern is bouncing/dribbling the ball from one hand to another....the ball coming to rest and the dribble ending/palming each time. As in the description, it occurs very often...it is always illegal. It is NOT RULED ILLEGAL.

Maybe my writing MISTAKE will result in making the correct ruling, a violation, rather than officials simply watching the illegal action and ruling it Legal.

With proof and evidence his first paragraph still contradicts the current rules. I asked our local interpreter what the justification is when the casebook is very explicit that he is wrong, but I think this is a sticky situation for a local interpreter to comment on. Albeit the right response would be, "He's 100% wrong"

BillyMac Thu Jan 09, 2014 07:20am

Quote, Unquote ...

Upon reading the description of the situation you probably realized.....I did not mean tossing the ball from one hand to the other hand. I can't recall the last time I have seen that occur. My writing mistake was in not using the word "bounce".to finish clarifying what the area needing attention is.The issue that was addressed is something that officials need to enforce and we simply watch this violation occur. Please make the clarification with your Board members if you share the memo with them. (Peter Webb, Coordinator of Interpreters, IAABO)

Adam Thu Jan 09, 2014 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 917424)
Upon reading the description of the situation you probably realized.....I did not mean tossing the ball from one hand to the other hand. I can't recall the last time I have seen that occur. My writing mistake was in not using the word "bounce".to finish clarifying what the area needing attention is.The issue that was addressed is something that officials need to enforce and we simply watch this violation occur. Please make the clarification with your Board members if you share the memo with them. (Peter Webb, Coordinator of Interpreters, IAABO)

No, his mistake was in using the word "throws."