The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Leaves Court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96947-team-leaves-court.html)

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 07, 2014 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917116)
They have left their bench and are walking to the locker room, within the playing confines still. You would T here?

What does the rule say? I can't find the term "playing confines".

I'm not saying I wouldn't try to prevent them from leaving if they appeared they were about to leave.

But if they've left, they've left.

deecee Tue Jan 07, 2014 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 917157)
Oh, does the rule say that it's okay for the team to depart if the coach stays?

100 out of 100 times if the coach is there so are the players.

Adam Tue Jan 07, 2014 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917211)
100 out of 100 times if the coach is there so are the players.

Yep, and sometimes they really don't care about those two points and they just want to get into the locker room to get started on chewing out their players. I've had to stop a coach from leaving once. It happens.

deecee Tue Jan 07, 2014 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 917214)
Yep, and sometimes they really don't care about those two points and they just want to get into the locker room to get started on chewing out their players. I've had to stop a coach from leaving once. It happens.

I'm sure it does. Heck in this line of work nothing surprises me. I haven't had this happen.

Sometimes when I read some rules I almost wish they gave an alternative way of trying to handle first before hitting the penalty. I know it's easier to maintain uniformity with black and white rulings and in basketball that is the case with 99% of what happens. But there should be a common sense clause that should be allowed to be enacted in certain instances.

I won't forget the college game where the coach had a heart attack and landed on the court and was given a T. The conference said the officials should have rescinded the T. Granted that's an extreme example but the common sense clause could have kicked in. :o

*Disclaimer* I am aware that some folks lack common sense. Hopefully in a crew of 2 or 3 100% of the crew is not lacking.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 07, 2014 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 917218)
I'm sure it does. Heck in this line of work nothing surprises me. I haven't had this happen.

Sometimes when I read some rules I almost wish they gave an alternative way of trying to handle first before hitting the penalty. I know it's easier to maintain uniformity with black and white rulings and in basketball that is the case with 99% of what happens. But there should be a common sense clause that should be allowed to be enacted in certain instances.

With any rule where the penalty is a T, I agree with you completely.