The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question Video Request - Penn State - Illinois

Wondering if there's video of the play that led to the PS player's ejection...? Also wondering if people agreed with how the play was handled (i.e. only one player being penalized)...?
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Penn State's D.J. Newbill Ejected For Shoving Kendrick Nunn In Neck

I don't work basketball but maybe the crew decided the UI player ran into the PSU player accidentally, so he didn't get penalized.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 12:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Seeing the endline replay, the Illini player definitely instigated the situation. I don't if the ruled the PSU's players action a fight, or just an FF2.

If he just got an FF2, I would have gave the Illini player Class A Technical as well. If the PSU player got ejected for fighting, then the Illini player should have went also for his dead ball contact instigating a fight.

That's my opinion based on what I saw in the replay.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 01:17am
beware big brother

They both should have been tossed for fighting. Once the PSU player retaliates by throwing a punch, the situation became a fight. The UI player's actions caused the fight to occur, so he should have been tossed as well.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Seeing the endline replay, the Illini player definitely instigated the situation. I don't if the ruled the PSU's players action a fight, or just an FF2.

If he just got an FF2, I would have gave the Illini player Class A Technical as well. If the PSU player got ejected for fighting, then the Illini player should have went also for his dead ball contact instigating a fight.

That's my opinion based on what I saw in the replay.
Don't believe that a Class A technical foul is appropriate for the contact by the Illinois player as the ball has clearly become live during the throw-in.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't believe that a Class A technical foul is appropriate for the contact by the Illinois player as the ball has clearly become live during the throw-in.
There was a whistle for a 30-second time-out after the made basket. You can see an Illini A/C indicate to the rest of the staff that PSU was taking a 30. Listen closely and you will hear that whistle a split second before the initial contact. In fact, notice how the PSU player responsible for throw-in initially steps as if he is going to come on to the court.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 06, 2014 at 09:37am.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

After viewing the endline angle, both of them go.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Both are ejected in my book. End line view said it all.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 01:40pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Initial bump was definitely not an accidents when viewed from the end line. Both are gone.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

What was the justification for not dumping all of the Illinois players who left the bench to try and join the altercation?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 02:35pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
What was the justification for not dumping all of the Illinois players who left the bench to try and join the altercation?
Maybe the coaches got them back quick enough? There was a timeout, so perhaps they were starting to come off the bench anyway when the altercation happened.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2014, 02:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
Someone already mentioned that there was a timeout requested and granted, that's why those players were up and coming onto the court. As soon as people realized there was an altercation going on, Ill. coaches were in front of those players and shoving them back. Not sure that any of them tried to get involved in the altercation.

Now Penn St. on the other hand...there were 6 of them in the scrum of bodies. So it seems like they should have had two ejections, not just one.

And the initial Illinois player should be tossed as well.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad a few others felt both initial players should have been tossed.

That initial shove (definitely not incidental or accidental), and what ensued definitely should have resulted in two ejections.

I'm also wondering why the third man in on the scrum (PS #23) wasn't ejected; he makes no attempt to restrain his teammate, but instead keeps giving the Illinois player the business.

I'm also a bit shocked the new trail on the play appeared to be looking at the entire play, but had nothing.