The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule 10-1-3 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96894-rule-10-1-3-a.html)

Altor Sun Dec 29, 2013 08:12pm

Rule 10-1-3

A question from an official in another sport.

Quote:

Use a megaphone or any electronic communication device, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court, or use electronic audio and/or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.
If a coach (or player) says, "I just watched the replay and you blew that call", are we shooting FTs even if nobody witnessed the actual "reviewing"?

JRutledge Sun Dec 29, 2013 08:22pm

Any questioning of the judgment of an official is a technical foul. So you do not have to see any replay to shoot FTs as you state the situation. ;)

The rule you quoted only is about the use of the devices that can take video or pictures. It really does not matter if they see anything. This comment would be considered out of line by many.

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Dec 29, 2013 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 916223)

If a coach (or player) says, "I just watched the replay and you blew that call", are we shooting FTs even if nobody witnessed the actual "reviewing"?

We are in my book.

FWIW, it's an automatic EJ in MLBaseball (so I've been led to believe)

AremRed Sun Dec 29, 2013 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916229)
We are in my book.

Mine too.

Adam Sun Dec 29, 2013 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 916223)

Yep, but I'm not using 10-3-1.

I'm using 10-4-1a

Altor Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:43am

I hadn't considered that the sentence in itself questions that call and that would warrant a technical foul. I looked through several NFHS rule books on Arbiter, but only the basketball rules seemed to have wording similar to the T&F regarding the electronic communications.

We now have a similar rule in the track and field rulebook. Only, it calls for the disqualification of a non-competing team member from further participation in the meet. A pretty serious penalty. (Interestingly, a competitor is only disqualified from the event.)

bob: I had heard that about the MLB too, which is part of the reason it caught my eye when I came across it.

tjones1 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:57am

Shooting free throws in my game too. Pretty straight forward.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 916242)
Yep, but I'm not using 10-3-1.

I'm using 10-4-1a

I agree with the cites (I think).

There is a case or two in this year's interps that covers this -- if it's "incorrectly using" the communication, then it's a Team T. If it's questioning the official's call, then it's a direct T.