The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tights for religious reasons (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96885-tights-religious-reasons.html)

Sharpshooternes Sat Dec 28, 2013 09:41pm

Tights for religious reasons

Had this today in a. W Soph. game. Player wearing black tights with dark green shorts and jersey. Asked coach about and she said the player was Islamic and wearing them for religious reasons. So we allowed it. As I thought about it more I was more sure that long tights extending below the short/skirt are NEVER allowed. For this player to be legal, she either needs to get uniform long pants or ?wear long socks/leg sleeves? although this isn't for medical reasons. Because this is for religious reasons, I wasn't going to touch this with a ten foot pole and will let the state handle it. P was going to send a report to the state. I did just approach the coach on the way out to let her know our findings and the state may contact them. V coach present for the conversation said "she has been doing it all year." :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Adam Sat Dec 28, 2013 09:52pm

Check with your state, to be safe. I'd approach it the same way until directed otherwise by the state or local leadership.

Rich1 Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:09pm

In Texas, the coach would need to get an exception from the UIL (governing body) for this and it is something that should be done BEFORE the contest. Its not only covered more thsn one place in the manual all coaches are to read but also in several trainings the coach is "required" to do (but its not really verified).

However, I agree that I'm not going to dq a player if this is the coach's explaination. I would allow the player to play and then would follow up through my chapter to report it as an unusual circumstance for UIL to address with the school.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 916108)
Check with your state, to be safe. I'd approach it the same way until directed otherwise by the state or local leadership.

Agreed on the "check with your state" part, but until then I would NOT allow it and cite the relevant case play.

JetMetFan Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 916110)
However, I agree that I'm not going to dq a player if this is the coach's explaination.

DQ would be kind of harsh, don't you think? ;)

At any rate, I'm in the camp of folks who would let the young lady play while wearing the tights then send a note to whatever association is responsible. I'd like to think by late December a ruling would've been sent out but if no one ever asked the relevant people about the situation such is life.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 29, 2013 09:16am

I'm away from my books, boesn't the case play specifically state something like: "A1 cannot wear shorts for religious reasons. May she wear tights? Ruling: No. Tights under the shorts are specifically prohibited. She can wear long pants, though."

So, I'm a little confused by those who would allow it and then write the state.

OKREF Sun Dec 29, 2013 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 916105)
Had this today in a. W Soph. game. Player wearing black tights with dark green shorts and jersey. Asked coach about and she said the player was Islamic and wearing them for religious reasons. So we allowed it. As I thought about it more I was more sure that long tights extending below the short/skirt are NEVER allowed. For this player to be legal, she either needs to get uniform long pants or ?wear long socks/leg sleeves? although this isn't for medical reasons. Because this is for religious reasons, I wasn't going to touch this with a ten foot pole and will let the state handle it. P was going to send a report to the state. I did just approach the coach on the way out to let her know our findings and the state may contact them. V coach present for the conversation said "she has been doing it all year." :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Illegal.

3.5.7 SITUATION B:

A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warm-ups or a skirt instead of shorts?

RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights "below the uniform shorts" would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (Rule 3, Section 4)

JetMetFan Sun Dec 29, 2013 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916131)
I'm away from my books, boesn't the case play specifically state something like: "A1 cannot wear shorts for religious reasons. May she wear tights? Ruling: No. Tights under the shorts are specifically prohibited. She can wear long pants, though."

You're correct...

Quote:

NFHS Case Book 3.5.7

A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warm-ups or a skirt instead of shorts?

RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights "below the uniform shorts" would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (Rule 3, Section 4)
I'm basing my decision on things that have cropped up in the past the few times I've worked in NJ. There are some things the state has strayed from when it comes to religion. For NYC/NYS GV I don't have to worry about it because they use NCAAW rules.

AremRed Sun Dec 29, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916131)

Not everyone is as strict as you are. Here are some reasons one might allow this:

1) high schools sports are focused on participation
2) the tights are not a safety issue
3) the tights are not flashy or showing off
4) "religious reasons" can be scary to some officials

Bonus story: I was the middle for a high school soccer game a couple months ago. I spotted a girl with tape over her ears about 5 minutes into the match. I asked her what was under the tape and she replied earrings. I properly went and yellow-carded the head coach. The head coach said "the earrings are permanent and for religious reasons. I decided to let the girl play. I was really torn about my decision for a couple months until I ran into a really really good ref. I asked him about the situation and he said he had also worked at that school this year and had the same situation. He also allowed the girl to play. Incorrect by rule, yes, but I'm not losing sleep about these situations any more.

Rich Sun Dec 29, 2013 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 916157)
Not everyone is as strict as you are. Here are some reasons one might allow this:

Bonus story: I was the middle for a high school soccer game a couple months ago. I spotted a girl with tape over her ears about 5 minutes into the match. I asked her what was under the tape and she replied earrings. I properly went and yellow-carded the head coach. The head coach said "the earrings are permanent and for religious reasons. I decided to let the girl play. I was really torn about my decision for a couple months until I ran into a really really good ref. I asked him about the situation and he said he had also worked at that school this year and had the same situation. He also allowed the girl to play. Incorrect by rule, yes, but I'm not losing sleep about these situations any more.

The case play couldn't be more clear. I'm not sure, absent state instruction otherwise, why an official wouldn't just point at the case play and tell the player/coach to call the state office.

I wouldn't allow the tights, either.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:09pm

Quote:

If you want to argue what the rule *should be*, then I'm inclined to agree with you. But, the rule is clear and here, at least, it's way above the pay grade of an official to set aside a rule such as this.

BillyMac Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:27pm

Eye Patcches, Yes, But Parrots, No ...

Quote:

... tights are not a safety issue ... earrings ... decided to let the girl play.

Tights may not be a safety issue, but earrings are. No earrings in my basketball games. Never. Ever.

AremRed Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 916177)
No earrings in my basketball games.

Totally agree.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 29, 2013 07:40pm

Quote:

Not everyone is as strict as you are.

It doesn't have anything to do with being strict. The rules are clear. No tights.

BTW, Bob is a really really good ref.

Now, personally, I think this rule needs to go away. As long as basketball shorts are these days, lycra shorts don't extend beyond the shorts. With the leg sleeves kids are wearing these days, it's very difficult to know whether they have on sleeves or tights. All you can do is ask.

OKREF Sun Dec 29, 2013 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 916214)
It doesn't have anything to do with being strict. The rules are clear. No tights.

BTW, Bob is a really really good ref.

Now, personally, I think this rule needs to go away. As long as basketball shorts are these days, lycra shorts don't extend beyond the shorts. With the leg sleeves kids are wearing these days, it's very difficult to know whether they have on sleeves or tights. All you can do is ask.

It's actually pretty easy, tights are Lycra, and sleeves are mostly made of neoprene.