The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Back court? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96884-back-court.html)

Terrapins Fan Sat Dec 28, 2013 08:42pm

Back court?

We had this play today. Christmas classic, Girls Varsity, championship game.

Visitors pressing, Home A1 passes the ball from Back court to front court. Girl A2 in Front court jumps to catch the ball, but can not get it, while in the air and to keep it from the visitors, she taps the ball into the back court and A3 catches it.

Trail calls BC. I am lead and from what I see, I agree. At half time, Center official tell us that there had to be control in the front court to have a BC call.

I don't think so, touched in FC by home team, even though she was in the air. Tapped to BC and caught by Home, BC.

Thoughts?

Camron Rust Sat Dec 28, 2013 08:59pm

Correct call.

There was control in the frontcourt...team control. That is all that is needed. Player control is not a factor.

JetMetFan Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:40am

Tell your C to check out these handy, dandy sections of the NFHS rule book. Luckily they come one right after another:

4-4-2
A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.

4-4-3
A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

4-4-4
A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.

JetMetFan Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 916136)
Incorrect, there has to PC after the throw-in before you can have BC violation. no different than if you just fumbled the ball

I think Camron was only referring to the situation described in the OP, not in general. The OP wasn’t a throw-in situation, or at least we weren’t told it was a throw-in.

Adam Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 916136)
Incorrect, there has to PC after the throw-in before you can have BC violation. no different than if she had muffed the throw-in.

According to intent, yes, but not according to the rule.

Note: On throw ins. The OP is not a throw in.

Raymond Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20am

Ok, never mind, thought it was a throw-in.

Adam Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 916096)
We had this play today. Christmas classic, Girls Varsity, championship game.

Visitors pressing, Home A1 passes the ball from Back court to front court. Girl A2 in Front court jumps to catch the ball, but can not get it, while in the air and to keep it from the visitors, she taps the ball into the back court and A3 catches it.

Trail calls BC. I am lead and from what I see, I agree. At half time, Center official tell us that there had to be control in the front court to have a BC call.

I don't think so, touched in FC by home team, even though she was in the air. Tapped to BC and caught by Home, BC.

Thoughts?

I believe the C would have been correct last year, by a strict reading of the rules (but not according to expressed intent from the NFHS.)

lawhite Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:07pm

A1 inbounding on baseline in it's frontcourt. Inbounds pass deflects off A2's fingertips. Ball rolls into backcourt and is first touched by A3. BC violation?

tjones1 Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawhite (Post 916798)
A1 inbounding on baseline in it's frontcourt. Inbounds pass deflects off A2's fingertips. Ball rolls into backcourt and is first touched by A3. BC violation?

No.

PG_Ref Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:19pm

Quote:

No.

Adam Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:21pm

Quote:

Never has been. They specifically noted this as something that did not change with the new rules the last few years.

BillyMac Fri Jan 03, 2014 03:48pm

Who You Gonna Call ???

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt, or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.