The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post contact (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96854-post-contact-video.html)

JetMetFan Mon Dec 23, 2013 04:34pm

Post contact (video)

I thought these were interesting because they took place back-to-back. Thoughts?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oYAfqceKIvk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

zm1283 Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:21pm

Waldo from St. Mary's picked up another one of his fouls (I'm pretty sure it was the 10:54 mark in the second half if you can pull the video) where he was completely vertical. It was less off a foul than either of these two plays.

Sharpshooternes Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:26pm

1. Minimal contact. All created by the ball handler. Basket goes. I got nuttin.
2. Minimal? contact all created by the defender moving into the ball handler. Missed shot. FTs. If this basket goes though, I have nothing. JMO.

zm1283 Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 915723)
1. Minimal contact. All created by the ball handler. Basket goes. I got nuttin.
2. Minimal? contact all created by the defender moving into the ball handler. Missed shot. FTs. If this basket goes though, I have nothing. JMO.

I hope I won't be the only one to tell you this, but this is a bad way to officiate. If it's a foul, just call it.

Adam Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 915724)
I hope I won't the only one to tell you this, but this is a bad way to officiate. If it's a foul, just call it.

Agreed, and I think officiating is moving away from this. I haven't watched the video, but I don't base my call on wehther the basket went in.

If the contact is both illegal and makes the shot noticeably more difficult, it's a foul, IMO. Whether it goes in is immaterial.

zm1283 Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:33pm

And you're penalizing the offense sometimes when they make the shot even though they were illegally contacted.

junruh07 Mon Dec 23, 2013 06:53pm

In the first play, the shooter jumps into the defender. In the second, the defender moves into the shooter, knocking him off balance. There are a lot harder fouls then that in a college game, but I would say the calls are certainly not terrible, even if we decide they are incorrect.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 23, 2013 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by junruh07 (Post 915727)
In the first play, the shooter jumps into the defender. In the second, the defender moves into the shooter, knocking him off balance. There are a lot harder fouls then that in a college game, but I would say the calls are certainly not terrible, even if we decide they are incorrect.

I gneerally agree with this. Red is not moving to the endline; white is. Foul on white; no foul on red.

Pantherdreams Mon Dec 23, 2013 08:23pm

First play defender is the primary defender isn't responsible for any of the contact and the basket went. Moving on.

2nd play defender is coming in as secondary. Steps into shooter and is responsible for contact. Not sure I would have had enough there to call it, but no problem with the foul call.

Raymond Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:41pm

Both plays ruled correctly IMO.

1) B1 was legal, and contact initiated by A1 caused B1 to bend over.

2) B1 still moving into A1 when A1 begins upward motion.

bainsey Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:23pm

Legal on the first, blocking foul on the second (though pushing works here, too).

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:32am

Two correct calls.

Nothing in play 1, and a defensive blocking foul in play 2.

No foul in play 1 as contact was created by Team A.

Foul in play 2 because at the time of contact, Team B was moving forward.

Blindolbat Tue Dec 24, 2013 01:00am

I agree with everyone, but what looks funny is the message that's sent by the initial mechanics used by the official on play #2. He clearly is not calling a push or a block. His motion indicates he's calling a foul because the defenders arms were not vertical.

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 24, 2013 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 915770)
I agree with everyone, but what looks funny is the message that's sent by the initial mechanics used by the official on play #2. He clearly is not calling a push or a block. His motion indicates he's calling a foul because the defenders arms were not vertical.

The defender did move his arms forward. And forward enough to be beyond vertical in my book. However, the illegal contact for me is with the body.

Adam Tue Dec 24, 2013 01:59am

I agree with these calls.

1. No way I have anything here.
2. I noticed his arms coming down into the jumping shooter. I'm comfortable with calling either that contact or the body. Either way, two shots.