The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last shot in the Indiana-Miami game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96821-last-shot-indiana-miami-game.html)

JRutledge Thu Dec 19, 2013 06:40pm

Last shot in the Indiana-Miami game

Did anyone consider the contact on the last shot to be a foul in the game last night.

I just wanted some opinions as it appears media people think touching is a foul, so I wanted to ask actual officials.

Would you call that at any point in any game you work?

APG-Jet, embed the video if you need be. ;)

Peace

Adam Thu Dec 19, 2013 07:52pm

Saw a quick blurb on SC today when I got to work. Didn't have a chance to actually watch the play. I'm curious, too.

JetMetFan Thu Dec 19, 2013 09:52pm

Here's the play

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 915242)
APG-Jet, embed the video if you need be. ;)

The things we do for you... :D

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vyTkpFJ7XYE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rich1 Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46pm

If you were really looking hard for a reason to blow your whistle in the last seconds and extend the game the I see a foul here. Defender placed two hands on the shooter which by POE should bea hand check / illegal use foul. But I did not see even the slightest affect that it had on the shot so I say let it go.

rekent Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 915256)
If you were really looking hard for a reason to blow your whistle in the last seconds and extend the game the I see a foul here. Defender placed two hands on the shooter which by POE should bea hand check / illegal use foul. But I did not see even the slightest affect that it had on the shot so I say let it go.

That is the part that bothers me. Had the same play occurred 2 minutes earlier, I don't think there is any way they pass on it. A foul is a foul, from jump to final horn.

Adam Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 915258)
That is the part that bothers me. Had the same play occurred 2 minutes earlier, I don't think there is any way they pass on it. A foul is a foul, from jump to final horn.

Honestly, I don't think I have this as a foul 30 seconds into the game, five minutes into the second quarter, or on the last shot.

This isn't a foul; it's a player who felt a bit of contact and rather than focus on his shot, started hoping for free throws.

just another ref Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 915262)
This isn't a foul; it's a player who felt a bit of contact and rather than focus on his shot, started hoping for free throws.

+1 Really poorly executed flop, significantly after everything was over.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15am

No foul.

Rich1 Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 915258)

I'm not saying that I would have called it at any point in the game, only that if one were looking to call something then it was there.

In addition, if they would have called it two minutes earlier and/or had called it consistently during the game then they should have called it there. Crew consistency from start to finish is so critical to what we do.

APG Fri Dec 20, 2013 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 915256)

Two hands on a shooter isn't part of the POE...that relates to a dribbler.

Adam Fri Dec 20, 2013 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 915275)
Two hands on a shooter isn't part of the POE...that relates to a dribbler.

And I barely, if at all, see two hands on the shooter.

Bad Zebra Fri Dec 20, 2013 08:08am

I'll play devil's advocate...

Exact same play, only it's a high school game…Fed rules…anybody calling this?

Indianaref Fri Dec 20, 2013 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 915285)

Not me. Don't see how a mere touch effected this shot.
Now on the other hand, I have had defenders want to "tummy touch or leg touch" the 3 point shooter. After I have warn them to knock it off and they continue, I will call this a foul.

Rob1968 Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:01am

NBE: Call that a foul, on that player, at that time, in that game . . .? not if you want your contract to stay intact . . .

JRutledge Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 915285)

What does HS rules have to do with this play? The concept of fouls are pretty much the same at all levels of basketball. And the NBA calls more fouls on shooters than most officials at the HS and college ranks. I would not call this a foul anywhere. There was no displacement and touching is not a foul in itself.

Peace