The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Returning after Injury

My player goes in for a layup is fouled and lands on his hand. I tend to him, make sure he is OK. (probably 1 min.) He gets up, official tells me I have to take him out. Sub misses first shot, makes second.

When can I put him back in the game, or did he even have to come out?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:24am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post
My player goes in for a layup is fouled and lands on his hand. I tend to him, make sure he is OK. (probably 1 min.) He gets up, official tells me I have to take him out. Sub misses first shot, makes second.

He has to come out, since you came onto the floor. He can come back in after the clock has started.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You could have requested a TO to keep him in the game.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was trained to tell the coach that they have a choice ... bring in a sub or call a timeout to keep him in. That said, since you brought in the sub, the clock must start before you can bring the player back in.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I was trained to tell the coach that they have a choice ... bring in a sub or call a timeout to keep him in. That said, since you brought in the sub, the clock must start before you can bring the player back in.
That is not totally a bad idea, but I think coaches should know some rules without us telling them everything. And I think timeouts are so valuable I would rather the coach make that request. But then again, I am not opposed to giving them that option, just not something I have been told to do.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is not totally a bad idea, but I think coaches should know some rules without us telling them everything. And I think timeouts are so valuable I would rather the coach make that request. But then again, I am not opposed to giving them that option, just not something I have been told to do.

Peace
You're right. The official doesn't have to do this as the coaches should know the rules. But sating simply "coach I need a sub" could incorrectly suggest that there are no other options.

I usually say "coach, we need a replacement unless you want to take a timeout." If they don't immediately request a timeout, then start the replacement interval.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

When you are beckoned onto the court by the referee, tell them you want to take a timeout. The referee will then grant your request. At that point, you have the length of the timeout to get your player ready to play.

Alternatively, you can just walk out, once beckoned, and then replace the injured player. The substitute will shoot the free throw/s. The replaced player is eligible to re-enter the game as soon as the next opportunity for substitute presents itself, after the time has started.

Last edited by Toren; Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 04:45pm.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
When you are beckoned onto the court by the referee, tell them you want to take a timeout. The referee will then grant your request. At that point, you have the length of the timeout to get your player ready to play.
I am not so sure we should grant the request for the timeout until the injury or the injured player is taken off the court. Just like you would not start the time to replace a player until the player has been "carried" off the court.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not so sure we should grant the request for the timeout until the injury or the injured player is taken off the court. Just like you would not start the time to replace a player until the player has been "carried" off the court.

Peace
That's correct. I excluded those details, my bad.