The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Too Early in the Lane (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96776-too-early-lane.html)

refiator Sun Dec 15, 2013 02:49am

Too Early in the Lane

Thoughts….
Should NFHS make entering the lane too early on free throws a POE or change the rule to allow players to enter the lane on the release? This seems (at least in GA) to be a growing problem that is not equitably enforced. I think this should be a POE and more strictly enforced…But maybe I'm old school…. :confused:

Raymond Sun Dec 15, 2013 09:50am

I definitely prefer the college rule.

Freddy Sun Dec 15, 2013 09:53am

What's Next?

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 914371)
Thoughts….
Should NFHS make entering the lane too early on free throws a POE or change the rule to allow players to enter the lane on the release? This seems (at least in GA) to be a growing problem that is not equitably enforced. I think this should be a POE and more strictly enforced…But maybe I'm old school…. :confused:

Just enforce it. Early in the game. Don't pass it up on the other end if it occurs there. Put out the notice that illegal entry will be called for the violation that it is. When it's called early, it generally keeps the players in compliance the remainder of the game. Most of the time, anyway.
It's a local POE here after one prominent game last year was won by 3 points by the team which clearly violated this rule 13 -- yes, 13! -- times. The advantage was so stark on video that the only excuse any rational person could come up with was sheer indifference on the part of the one official who, as lead, kept watching the flight of the free throw and missed 10 violations on that team himself, 7 with clear possession consequence for the violating player.
Should we abolish the rule for the sake of inattentiveness or indifference? My answer to that question is, what's next after that? It perhaps isn't the best policy to go abolishing rules for the sake of those who don't care to enforce them.
Pregame it. Do it. The players will conform.
Off my soapbox now.

bainsey Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 914379)
Should we abolish the rule for the sake of inattentiveness or indifference? My answer to that question is, what's next after that? It perhaps isn't the best policy to go abolishing rules for the sake of those who don't care to enforce them.

Like it or not, that's typically a reason so many rules get changed.

One relatively recent example is that leaving the court is a violation, where it used to be a technical foul. Many of us believed the "T" was too harsh a penalty, so it wasn't enforced as often as it should have been.

I agree we should enforce the lane violations rule as it is, but there's no harm in talking about whether the release vs. ring contact is better for the game. I also prefer the former, but until the NFHS agrees, I'll call the early entry as it was agreed.

Adam Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 914380)
Like it or not, that's typically a reason so many rules get changed.

One relatively recent example is that leaving the court is a violation, where it used to be a technical foul. Many of us believed the "T" was too harsh a penalty, so it wasn't enforced as often as it should have been.

I agree we should enforce the lane violations rule as it is, but there's no harm in talking about whether the release vs. ring contact is better for the game. I also prefer the former, but until the NFHS agrees, I'll call the early entry as it was agreed.

The rule was initially changed because officials weren't properly officiating rebounding action on FTs. I would expect a POE before a rule change.

We have no problem enforcing it here. I have to ask refiator, though, just how early are they entering?

bob jenkins Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:02am

It has gone back and forth over the years, and is discussed almost every year (at least for the years that I saw the meeting summaries).

If it's an issue in GA, then have the GAHSA (or whatever it is called) put up a copuple of videos and have the videos affect the post-season assignements for a couple of officials. That will get everyone on board quickly.

BillyMac Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:49am

Eventually The NFHS Gets The Point, Sometimes ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 914380)

Same thing with excessively swinging (no contact) elbows. It went from a violation, to a technical foul, where it often wasn't charged, and then it went back to a violation.

BillyMac Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52am

What Goes Around ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 914384)
It has gone back and forth over the years.

True. When I started it was on the "hit", then it went to the release, and now it's back to the "hit". NFHS explained the most recent change was to cut down on rebounding fouls.

JRutledge Sun Dec 15, 2013 06:56pm

I think the rule should go back to being on the release. It think the rational for changing the rule was always stupid to begin with. And it would allow all levels to be similar so that we do not have to split hairs on if a violation took place. A POE is not going to change that fact IMO.

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:04pm

You still have to "split hairs" because the players still try to "cheat" and enter just before the ball is released.

JRutledge Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 914481)
You still have to "split hairs" because the players still try to "cheat" and enter just before the ball is released.

Yeah and seeing it on the release is easier to judge IMO.

Peace

Scrapper1 Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 914379)
Just enforce it. Early in the game.

Bingo. If you see it early, then the next time a FT misses, just call the violation on the shooting team. Next time a FT misses on the other end, call the violation on that team. They'll learn quickly enough.

Adam Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:58pm

The other rationale was the purported impact on rebounding. The committee seems to also look for a certain balance between offensive and defensive rebounds. They seem to like the current stats.

refiator Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 914382)
The rule was initially changed because officials weren't properly officiating rebounding action on FTs. I would expect a POE before a rule change.

We have no problem enforcing it here. I have to ask refiator, though, just how early are they entering?

It depends, but mostly it is a player lifting a leg and gaining position to rebound. Their foot may or may not come down in the paint prior to the ball hitting the rim, but they definitely gain an advantage by breaking the plane of the lane line.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 914516)
It depends, but mostly it is a player lifting a leg and gaining position to rebound. Their foot may or may not come down in the paint prior to the ball hitting the rim, but they definitely gain an advantage by breaking the plane of the lane line.

I'm sure you know this but to clarify for everyone, the foot doesn't have to hit the floor for a violation to occur. When the foot breaks the FT lane plan, the player has violated.

I don't think the rule is going to change. Rough play is an ongoing POE. If you allow players to enter on the release then you get a lot of totally unnecessary rough play on made FTs.