The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   video request (Iowa/ISU) (Clip Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96766-video-request-iowa-isu-clip-added.html)

Raymond Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:32pm

video request (Iowa/ISU) (Clip Added)

9:50 of 2nd half. PC called on Iowa; from Hooters it looked like upward motion play.

zm1283 Sat Dec 14, 2013 02:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 914260)
9:50 of 2nd half. PC called on Iowa; from Hooters it looked like upward motion play.

And you expect us to believe you saw the play at all? :D

rlarry Sat Dec 14, 2013 08:36am

All plays at Hooter's look like upward motion. That's their business model

BillyMac Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:34am

Hooter's Refers To Owls, Right ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarry (Post 914281)
All plays at Hooter's look like upward motion. That's their business model

Mark Padgett? Why are you posting under rlarry's user name?

JetMetFan Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:37am

video

Here's the non-Hooters view of the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XXIzzjVMDuA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HawkeyeCubP Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01pm

Huh. I liked the call while watching it last night. Looks like it technically should've been a block.

OKREF Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:06pm

I don't see how any set of rules says that isn't a PC. It looks like he started his upward motion, and technically the official could have called a block and been right by the book.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 914300)
I don't see how any set of rules says that isn't a PC. It looks like he started his upward motion, and technically the official could have called a block and been right by the book.

NCAA-M says it's a block.

OKREF Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 914301)
NCAA-M says it's a block.

I know it does, but man that's a tough block.

Adam Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 914302)
I know it does, but man that's a tough block.

{fanboy rant}

Are you kidding me? That's an easy block, how could that official miss that call from the perfect position?! This is horrible! That cost the Hawkeyes the game!

{/fanboy rant}

Camron Rust Sat Dec 14, 2013 01:05pm

While, by NCAA-M, that is a block, I do not like it. This play is a perfect example of a defender doing a pretty good job of cutting off the path to the basket but getting penalized for it. In my opinion, with respect to the new rule, he was 1/2 a step from making it in time. He stepped forward and got one foot down before the shooter started up but didn't get the 2nd foot down until the shooter was moving up. The shooter still had plenty of time to change directions. They've made it practically impossible to guard the basket against drives.

zm1283 Sat Dec 14, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 914308)
While, by NCAA-M, that is a block, I do not like it. This play is a perfect example of a defender doing a pretty good job of cutting off the path to the basket but getting penalized for it. In my opinion, with respect to the new rule, he was 1/2 a step from making it in time. He stepped forward and got one foot down before the shooter started up but didn't get the 2nd foot down until the shooter was moving up. The shooter still had plenty of time to change directions. They've made it practically impossible to guard the basket against drives.

Agreed. By rule it was probably a block, but the rule is terrible. I would be all in favor of changing it back.

If the defender gets in position too early to take the charge, the driving player simply dishes the ball to whoever the secondary defender was guarding previously.

BillyMac Sat Dec 14, 2013 02:13pm

My High School Two Cents ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 914308)
He stepped forward and got one foot down before the shooter started up but didn't get the 2nd foot down until the shooter was moving up.

At regular speed, I've got a player control foul. In slow motion, I've also got a player control foul. I believe that the defender got his right foot down before the offensive player became airborne.

brainbrian Sat Dec 14, 2013 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 914313)
I believe that the defender got his right foot down before the offensive player became airborne.

The rule is not based on when the player goes airborne, it's based on when he begins his upward shooting motion.

Adam Sat Dec 14, 2013 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 914311)
Agreed. By rule it was probably a block, but the rule is terrible. I would be all in favor of changing it back.

If the defender gets in position too early to take the charge, the driving player simply dishes the ball to whoever the secondary defender was guarding previously.

Agreed. I don't think there was anything wrong with the rule before they jacked it up.