The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional/F1 thoughts...(video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96764-intentional-f1-thoughts-video.html)

JetMetFan Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33am

Intentional/F1 thoughts...(video)

The last few minutes of the Kansas/Florida game got me thinking…and we all know how dangerous it is for an official to think.

Should these two plays have been ruled F1 fouls?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QZ6t4QGgVzk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bob jenkins Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44am

Probably not -- but I would tell the team (or the captain) to be sure they are making basketball plays.

Some areas will get these as Intentional right away (at least on the second -- the first there might have been a foul before the two-handed grab).

Indianaref Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46am

I like Bob's answer, we all know the strategy, just tell them to make a play on the ball.

JRutledge Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47am

I do not feel that is the case in the second play. The first play maybe, but that is tough to tell. Two hands on the ball handler is a foul and I think that is what was being called for the most part. Neither contact stood out to me as a slam dunk, so I have no problem with what was called.

Peace

APG Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53am

Common foul on both.

TriggerMN Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58am

Are they intentional? Of course they are. Should you call them F1's? Sure, if you don't ever want to work Kansas vs. Florida or the like ever again. You do what your assignor tells you to do, or else your assignor will find someone who will.

jeschmit Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:21pm

Like was said before... these are common fouls. Make sure you get them early though as they can easily/quickly rise to the level of F1 if not called right away.

Some preventative officiating can be used here after you see the first one. Something like, "Hey, make sure you're making an attempt to get the ball" would suffice.

jeremy341a Fri Dec 13, 2013 01:42pm

What is everyone's opinion if this were a high school game?

JRutledge Fri Dec 13, 2013 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 914240)

I would not even think to call anything but a common foul based on what I witnessed on these videos. FF1 and intentional fouls are basically the exact same, the difference is one calls their fouls intentional. I also do not go around calling the game totally differently because one is at the college level and the other are high school players. My approach and reasoning for making calls are exactly the same except when a rule is clearly different. In this case the rules are basically the same.

Peace

HokiePaul Fri Dec 13, 2013 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 914240)

The first clip is closer to an intentional than the second in my opinion, but neither are enough for me to go intentional.