The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Head Gear (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96705-head-gear.html)

Scratch85 Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:31pm

Head Gear

Had a game this week that involved a player wearing a "helmet'. It was a soft helmet made of the slow recovery type foam referenced for braces. Our first look at it was when the player entered the game. He did not have it on during warm-ups and we were surprised when he came onto the court. It was this team's first game of the season.

We had a mini-conference and checked it to see what it was made of. One of my partners suggested that a Dr's statement was required for him to be allowed to play. I talked him out of that even though I wasn't sure if it was required and am still not sure. We allowed him to wear it and play.

Several articles of equipment and apparel can only be worn for a medical reason. But I do not believe any of the items listed in 3-5 require documentation other than a head covering as covered in the 'exception'. After a little studying, I think the head covering requires approval from the state association and a Dr's statement would not meet the requirement.

Now I am wondering if I should do some follow up with that team's coach. We allowed it and it is likely (and correct) that another crew will not allow it without proper documentation.

I post this to bring it up so others aren't surprised if they see it. I expect it will be more common with the attention being given to concussions. And I am curious about the forum's opinion on whether I should contact the coach to give my understanding of the rule. And to make sure I have the correct understanding of the rules for head coverings.

jdmara Thu Dec 05, 2013 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 913004)
Had a game this week that involved a player wearing a "helmet'. It was a soft helmet made of the slow recovery type foam referenced for braces. Our first look at it was when the player entered the game. He did not have it on during warm-ups and we were surprised when he came onto the court. It was this team's first game of the season.

We had a mini-conference and checked it to see what it was made of. One of my partners suggested that a Dr's statement was required for him to be allowed to play. I talked him out of that even though I wasn't sure if it was required and am still not sure. We allowed him to wear it and play.

Several articles of equipment and apparel can only be worn for a medical reason. But I do not believe any of the items listed in 3-5 require documentation other than a head covering as covered in the 'exception'. After a little studying, I think the head covering requires approval from the state association and a Dr's statement would not meet the requirement.

Now I am wondering if I should do some follow up with that team's coach. We allowed it and it is likely (and correct) that another crew will not allow it without proper documentation.

I post this to bring it up so others aren't surprised if they see it. I expect it will be more common with the attention being given to concussions. And I am curious about the forum's opinion on whether I should contact the coach to give my understanding of the rule and to make sure I have the correct understanding of the rules for head coverings.

We had this go around a couple of years ago. The administrators here deemed them illegal. Thanks for sharing

-Josh

bob jenkins Thu Dec 05, 2013 02:57pm

Allowed here.

Not allowed in NCAAW (and in making that ruling they included some "medical reports" to the effect that they would in fact do little to mitigate effects of prior concussions or prevent new concussions).

Freddy Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:40pm

Sheolmut

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 913004)
. . . the correct understanding of the rules for head coverings.

Cf. 3-5-4 EXCEPTION a. - ". . . the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve . . ." of such a thing, if the stated legal requirements are met.
Whether they are effective or not is not up to me. Only that correct protocol is followed prior to the case entering our courtroom.
Had an AD two or three years ago who was diligently "on the ball" to make sure all these requirements were fulfilled before allowing a formerly concussed player to wear such a thing. The correct documentation was in place, and off we went.

Scratch85 Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 913046)
Cf. 3-5-4 EXCEPTION a. - ". . . the physician's statement is required before the state association can approve . . ."

I agree, and that is one of the sticking points I had in my OP. A Dr's statement is is required for approval but the state association must approve the head gear for it to be legal.

Then there is the other point. Should I contact the coach/AD or let it go and let the chips fall where the may? I did not know the rule at the time and my conscience is buggin' me. And I assure you, I barely have a conscience.

BillyMac Thu Dec 05, 2013 09:23pm

Protective Headbands ...

Connecticut allows these:

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45076...43287&pid=15.1

No color restrictions, no doctor's note required.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 06, 2013 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 913080)
I agree, and that is one of the sticking points I had in my OP. A Dr's statement is is required for approval but the state association must approve the head gear for it to be legal.

Then there is the other point. Should I contact the coach/AD or let it go and let the chips fall where the may? I did not know the rule at the time and my conscience is buggin' me. And I assure you, I barely have a conscience.

Assuming this was a scholastic game, I would write the state and copy the school. Use some language to the effect that you "want to clarify the ruling for yourself, and be sure that all officials are handling this in a consistent manner to avoid confusion before every game."

Scratch85 Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11am

High School - BV

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 913147)
Assuming this was a scholastic game, I would write the state and copy the school. Use some language to the effect that you "want to clarify the ruling for yourself, and be sure that all officials are handling this in a consistent manner to avoid confusion before every game."

Sounds like a good way to handle it. Thanks for the advice.