The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Michigan/Duke, Throw-In Violation, Coach K "T" (Clip Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96686-video-request-michigan-duke-throw-violation-coach-k-t-clip-added.html)

bainsey Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29pm

Video Request: Michigan/Duke, Throw-In Violation, Coach K "T" (Clip Added)

Second half, 1:30, Throw-in violation called against Duke (PxP guy calls it a "travel" :eek:), Duke wanted a time out, Krzyzewski gets a technical foul.

Time out request in time?

dahoopref Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:43pm

Kersey gives the correct signal for a throw-in violation. As Kersey walks away to become new L, Coach K gives a loud foot stomp and promptly turns around with his hands in the air while walking toward his bench. Kersey turns around after hearing the foot stomp and sees Coach K's backside walking away; technical foul given.

Giving a coach a T while he is walking away is not ideal but it was definitely deserved and well done. I'm wondering why Corbett didn't give the T as he was walking to the spot to in-bound the ball for Michigan?

Rich Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 912716)
Second half, 1:30, Throw-in violation called against Duke (PxP guy calls it a "travel" :eek:), Duke wanted a time out, Krzyzewski gets a technical foul.

Time out request in time?

I enjoyed that sequence way too much.

bainsey Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 912721)
I enjoyed that sequence way too much.

Shot in the dark -- Tar Heel fan?

just another ref Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 912725)
Shot in the dark -- Tar Heel fan?

I'm guessing it's not about being a fan of anybody. Most guys here express a strong distaste for Coach K.

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 912726)
I'm guessing it's not about being a fan of anybody. Most guys here express a strong distaste for Coach K.

I have two goals or things on my bucket list as far as officiating are concerned. 1) Officiate the final four and 2) serve some T to Coach K. I have nothing against the guy personally, I didn't go to a rivalry school, I actually think he is an excellent coach. I just think he can get way fired up and I would love to whack! him.

ballgame99 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10am

I saw this sequence last night, I thought it was the right call in terms of the violation, the inbounding player moved off his spot several steps then tried to call TO. He didn't signal travel, he did the 'over and back' motion and pointed the other way. And the T was warrented. Coach stomped right at him and yelled. He then quickly turned and put his hands up in the 'i didn't do anything' pose, but got whack-a-moled anyway.

egj13 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 912719)
Coach K gives a loud foot stomp and promptly turns around with his hands in the air while walking toward his bench.

In my game last night I am "C" opposite bench. Coach, sitting 5 feet behind the trail slaps the front of the bench with both hands, stands up, throws hands in the air then stopms and says "how can you not see that?"...nothing. We go in at half and I asked my partner just what is the line a coach has to cross before he will whack him...he says "what's the point, I don't even let them get to me." :( I commented well that is why his players act the same damn way...I swear.

Rob1968 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 912779)
I saw this sequence last night, I thought it was the right call in terms of the violation, the inbounding player moved off his spot several steps then tried to call TO. He didn't signal travel, he did the 'over and back' motion and pointed the other way. And the T was warrented. Coach stomped right at him and yelled. He then quickly turned and put his hands up in the 'i didn't do anything' pose, but got whack-a-moled anyway.

I was working a HS game last night, and didn't see the afore-mentioned sequence. I'm thinking it must've been what Coach K said, rather than the body language of walking away when the official looked in his direction (?) that evoked the T. . .?

ballgame99 Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:01pm

No, it was the demonstrative stomp/clap at the official who was 10 feet away. I think all he said verbally was " I was calling timeout!"

fiasco Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 912827)
No, it was the demonstrative stomp/clap at the official who was 10 feet away. I think all he said verbally was " I was calling timeout!"

Actually, I replayed it several times, and reading his lips, I'd bet money that he was saying "That's HORSE SHIT!!"

APG Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:42pm

Throw-in violation first in slow motion...throw-in and subsequent T afterward:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LnXM3YlUttk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 912827)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 912831)
Actually, I replayed it several times, and reading his lips, I'd bet money that he was saying "That's HORSE SHIT!!"

He said both.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:50pm

It's hard (or impossible) to see the coaching box line on the court, but I think he was well out of it when he stomped his foot.

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:32pm

Well played by the official. He made the call and walked away to become the new Lead. Kryzycewski took several steps toward him then blurted "horse shit". The official didn't bait him. Coach K got what he asked for. Job well done, Mr. Official.