The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
1. Find things in your game you can work on.
2. Call fouls that need to be called so that...
3. All of the participants leave with the body parts they arrived with, preferably still attached to their bodies.
This, especially #1. How many times, without having to do countless wreck games, do you have the opportunity to work on areas of officiating? Things like clock management, rotations, table communications, mechanics - it's all there and the great thing is you're getting paid to do it (note I didn't say you're mailing in the effort, just that you're also taking the opportunity to polish aspects of your game).
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

"My worst game yet."

You're still young. It will get worse.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:45pm
wife loves the goatee...

1 vs 8 Girls AAA District Tourney blowout... final score was 80 something to something in the teens. Partners wanted to know why I was still running in the 4th qtr....
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:54pm
Always Carded Ref

Unhappy Had to

I had one last night 114-14 i had to slow the game down mentally and really just worked on mechanics court movement and game management it was rough especially when the team was up 40-2 at the end of the first quarter.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm, sounds like the JH game in front of ours, minus the booing, the same night. The varsity girls game was about as ugly, 60-70pt blowout and the boys game was a 4pt contest.

Our game was in Gallipolis how about yours?
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes....same game
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 01:11am
C'mon man!!

Mine was tonight

Doing a little preseason tournament JV men's side. Just tons and tons of fouls. Double bonus by the third quarter. At least 3 fouled out. And foul count was probably 50. They just would not stop it. We let a bunch go, but it never got out of hand it. It was a twenty point blow out so not that bad score wise. Losing coach got irate when I had to call a DOG after a warning. First one, defender but not the one guarding the thrower inner steps a good foot over the line. Second, A1 is standing a ways from the line and then makes a pass toward the court except B1's hand is through the plane and contacts the ball.

Other thing he got upset about was his player was making a drive to the baker on transition has 3 defenders around the one in front has LGP easily and jumps to block the shot, straight up. Ball handler collides into the defender which I no call because he didn't really displace him. Coach complains that there "was a lot of contact on that play" "if anything it was a charge coach" "but he didn't even keep his feet" "coach the defender can jump or move any direction as long as it isn't into the ball handler. He doesn't have to be planted" He looked at me incredulously. "That's the worst explanation I have ever heard." The coach was lucky not to by a cup 'o T. I debated whacking him once when he said, "even your partner thinks your terrible." What do you think? Did that comment deserve a technical. I think it fits in the personal category now but meh, I am content either way on this one.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Sat Dec 07, 2013 at 01:15am.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 01:43am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Doing a little preseason tournament JV men's side. Just tons and tons of fouls. Double bonus by the third quarter. At least 3 fouled out. And foul count was probably 50. They just would not stop it. We let a bunch go, but it never got out of hand it. It was a twenty point blow out so not that bad score wise. Losing coach got irate when I had to call a DOG after a warning. First one, defender but not the one guarding the thrower inner steps a good foot over the line. Second, A1 is standing a ways from the line and then makes a pass toward the court except B1's hand is through the plane and contacts the ball.

Other thing he got upset about was his player was making a drive to the baker on transition has 3 defenders around the one in front has LGP easily and jumps to block the shot, straight up. Ball handler collides into the defender which I no call because he didn't really displace him. Coach complains that there "was a lot of contact on that play" "if anything it was a charge coach" "but he didn't even keep his feet" "coach the defender can jump or move any direction as long as it isn't into the ball handler. He doesn't have to be planted" He looked at me incredulously. "That's the worst explanation I have ever heard." The coach was lucky not to by a cup 'o T. I debated whacking him once when he said, "even your partner thinks your terrible." What do you think? Did that comment deserve a technical. I think it fits in the personal category now but meh, I am content either way on this one.
Was this college or high school? Why would you call a DOG on a player not guarding the thrower?

Could have tech'd the coach as soon as he made that first comment. Second comment is automatic.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Second, A1 is standing a ways from the line and then makes a pass toward the court except B1's hand is through the plane and contacts the ball.
If the ball had been released, then this is legal.

Plus what Arem said.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
1 vs 8 Girls AAA District Tourney blowout... final score was 80 something to something in the teens. Partners wanted to know why I was still running in the 4th qtr....
Answer: “Because you never know who is watching.”
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not to pile on but yeah, you bonked on the second throw-in situation (NFHS 9-2-10 – I’m assuming it was HS since you said 3rd quarter).

As for the conversation with the HC, that was way too much dialogue especially in a situation where he’s getting his rear end handed to him and is probably looking for a way to complain. First and foremost, he didn’t ask a question he made a statement. Leave that alone. If he eventually asks a reasonable question just say, “Coach, the defender had legal guarding position” and move on. If it somehow gets to the “even your partner thinks you’re terrible” line, whack him.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Other thing he got upset about was his player was making a drive to the baker on transition.
I'd be upset with my player about that too. They don't get to make dough until they get a professional contract.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:43am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Not to pile on but yeah, you bonked on the second throw-in situation (NFHS 9-2-10 – I’m assuming it was HS since you said 3rd quarter).

As for the conversation with the HC, that was way too much dialogue especially in a situation where he’s getting his rear end handed to him and is probably looking for a way to complain. First and foremost, he didn’t ask a question he made a statement. Leave that alone. If he eventually asks a reasonable question just say, “Coach, the defender had legal guarding position” and move on. If it somehow gets to the “even your partner thinks you’re terrible” line, whack him.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The player had his hand through the plane when the throw was released and he touched it on the outside of the plane. The DOG T was definitely warranted.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:44am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd be upset with my player about that too. They don't get to make dough until they get a professional contract.
Stupid IPad autocorrect.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 03:49am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Was this college or high school? Why would you call a DOG on a player not guarding the thrower?

Could have tech'd the coach as soon as he made that first comment. Second comment is automatic.
9-2-10 I called it on the player not guarding the thrower inner because the book doesn't differentiate between who is guarding the thrower. It only says that the opponent can not have any part through the plane. Doesn't say who or how far away they are, although in this case, they were close enough to be guarding the thrower.