The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 01:14am
Always Carded Ref

Question about transfers

I accepted a position in jacksonville so I'm just curious as to what the transfer process is from Va to Fla or anywhere for that matter I dont want to the guy with the deer in the headlights look.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 12:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Board 94?

I transferred to another VA board and they wanted a reference letter from my commissioner.

Are you an IAABO member? If so, it makes (supposed to) the transfer process easier.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 03:16pm
Official & Member

Florida is not an IAABO state. You'll have to join a local association as well as the FHSAA. Contact the FHSAA for specific requirements regarding transferring credit for years of service. My exposure to transfers is that you are essentially at the mercy of your new local association as far as receiving varsity assignments. Generally, you just need to show your new commissioner/assigner that you're qualified and capable of officiating at the varsity level and you'll likely receive a decent schedule. In most parts of the state, there's a shortage of qualified varsity officials. Best of luck and welcome to sunny, strange Florida. Start here: fhsaa.org

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 03:26pm.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Transfers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are you an IAABO member? If so, it makes (supposed to) the transfer process easier.
I can't speak for other local boards, but here, in my little corner of 100% IAABO Connecticut, if you're transferring from one local IAABO board to ours (within our state, or from another state) our assignment commissioner, after receiving a letter from the transferee's previous local board's assignment commissioner, will assign the same level of games that the transferee had worked on his previous local board (varsity, subvarsity, etc.). Our commissioner observes transferees early in the season (scrimmages, or early regular season games) to help him decide how many games that the transferee will get. After that, the transferee just eases into our rating, and ranking system, for the next season.

Most of the transferees that I talk to say that the transfer was a fairly positive experience, although some have a tough time with that first year, same level (varsity, subvarsity, etc.), as in the past, but possibly fewer games.

I know that we have a of of IAABO haters on this Forum, but despite all our other flaws, at least we usually allow for smooth transfers within the IAABO international organization, 200 local boards in 38 states, and 11 foreign countries.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 08:02am
Always Carded Ref

thanks

thanks for the feedback guys it really helped so far
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
thanks for the feedback guys it really helped so far
I sent you a PM