The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   replacement interval (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96629-replacement-interval.html)

Sco53 Tue Nov 26, 2013 02:35pm

replacement interval

NFHS Does the 20 second replacement interval apply when a player is required to leave the game due to wearing jewelry?

Adam Tue Nov 26, 2013 02:53pm

It's not addressed by rule, but do you seriously have a coach who is wanting this interval?

JetMetFan Tue Nov 26, 2013 03:25pm

From the one case play I see the answer would be no. When it's discovered during the game, the player has to leave the game immediately.

Quote:

2.4.5 SITUATION A:

Before the contest both coaches verify that their teams are legally equipped. In the third quarter A1 is discovered wearing a ring.

RULING: A1 must leave the game and remove the jewelry and may re-enter the game at the next substitution opportunity, but no penalty is assessed against A1 or the coach.

Adam Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:00pm

I think the question is what to do if the coach refuses.

The 20 second interval would be good, but it's not coded in the rule.

You could just issue the T when he makes it clear he doesn't intent to comply.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:09pm

I think it *DOES* apply.

10-5-2 "The head coach shall replace a disqualified / injured player, or player directed to leave the game, within 20 seconds when a substitute is available.

Adam Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:23pm

Never mind, then. :)

JetMetFan Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:52pm

One thing though, Bob. It says the HC has 20 seconds to replace the player but in the case play I cited there’s nothing about being able to use a TO to keep a player in the game when (s)he is wearing jewelry. Injury and/or blood, yes. It may be a difference of something a player can control (jewelry) as opposed to something they can’t (injury and/or bleeding).

bob jenkins Tue Nov 26, 2013 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 912043)
One thing though, Bob. It says the HC has 20 seconds to replace the player but in the case play I cited there’s nothing about being able to use a TO to keep a player in the game when (s)he is wearing jewelry. Injury and/or blood, yes. It may be a difference of something a player can control (jewelry) as opposed to something they can’t (injury and/or bleeding).

Right. You can't use a TO to keep the player in the game in the case of jewelry.

That's not what was asked, though.

JetMetFan Wed Nov 27, 2013 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 912047)
That's not what was asked, though.

D'oh! :o

rpirtle Sun Dec 01, 2013 05:36pm

Would the replacement interval be given if no sub is available (so HC can talk with his remaining players)..?? This is a question from another discussion board.

AremRed Sun Dec 01, 2013 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 912437)
Would the replacement interval be given if no sub is available (so HC can talk with his remaining players)..?? This is a question from another discussion board.

No. NFHS 10-5-2. If no sub is available the coach does not need 20 seconds to replace his player.

rpirtle Sun Dec 01, 2013 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 912441)
No. NFHS 10-5-2. If no sub is available the coach does not need 20 seconds to replace his player.

There's the crux of the problem...and you've answered my question. Rule 10-5-2 says, "The head coach shall replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or player directed to leave the game, within 20 seconds when a substitute is available."

There are some on the other discussion board that don't see any significance in the verbiage "...when a substitute is available.". What I'm getting from multiple sources is there are no other references that might clarify this issue for these non-believers. Thanks for the help AremRed.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 912047)
Right. You can't use a TO to keep the player in the game in the case of jewelry...

...or a player who has been sent out because his jersey is untucked.