The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not so sure about the taunting. There is emotion in the game and if I dunk on someone and that guy is under you, what else do you expect him to do? He is going to look at him. I can see why that was not called in that situation.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 12:09pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not so sure about the taunting. There is emotion in the game and if I dunk on someone and that guy is under you, what else do you expect him to do? He is going to look at him. I can see why that was not called in that situation.

Peace
I'm not sure what this guy's face looked like, but his teammate had no reason to do the same, though.

On that note, though, looking down at a guy after the play is one thing, but making a face that is clearly meant as "LOL... you got poster-ized" is another. I mean, it would be no surprise if it ticked off the defender, and his teammates, and thus ended up in some type of altercation.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Correct, the defender had not gained LGP by the time the offensive player began the motion preceding the release of the ball. That said, I don't see how the defender fouled the offensive player at all (other than not having Legal Position). The defender got knocked down, the offensive player landed cleanly. I can agree with a no-call here.

I am hopefully getting the T for taunting. Maybe even two T's as it looks like White 0 also comes over and rubs it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Defender has to get an initial legal guarding position before the player starts his upward motion with his hands/arms to shoot or pass the ball.
This defender had LGP long before the collision....several steps worth. His problem what that he, from an LGP, slid over after the shooter went airborne making it a block. This would be a block in any year's version of the rules. Had he not moved and still got hit, it would have been a PC.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This defender had LGP long before the collision....several steps worth. His problem what that he, from an LGP, slid over after the shooter went airborne making it a block. This would be a block in any year's version of the rules. Had he not moved and still got hit, it would have been a PC.
Is the movement you see towards the shooter, or lateral? Doesn't a defender have the right to move laterally and still maintain LGP?
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 08:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Is the movement you see towards the shooter, or lateral? Doesn't a defender have the right to move laterally and still maintain LGP?
In HS, not after A1 goes airborne.

In NCAA-Men (don't know about Women's), not after A1 begins upward motion with the ball.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As BNR said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

In NCAA-Men (don't know about Women's), not after A1 begins upward motion with the ball.
Which means, that in this case, it would be a block on both accounts since he moved laterally after the shooter was airborne....and also towards the shooter in my opinion.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 09:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Where does it says the defender may not continue to move laterally after the offensive player is airborne?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Where does it says the defender may not continue to move laterally after the offensive player is airborne?
You have to give the airborne player a spot to come down unless you get there before s/he left the floor (HS or gathered NCAAM)
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Doesn't a defender have the right to move laterally and still maintain LGP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This makes it sound like a defender who has legal guarding position and is legally moving to maintain it must immediately stop moving when the offensive player becomes airborne. Such is not the case.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
NFHS 10.6.1 SITUATION C:

B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1.

RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1.
Let's not overthink these, folks.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 02:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm not sure what this guy's face looked like, but his teammate had no reason to do the same, though.

On that note, though, looking down at a guy after the play is one thing, but making a face that is clearly meant as "LOL... you got poster-ized" is another. I mean, it would be no surprise if it ticked off the defender, and his teammates, and thus ended up in some type of altercation.
As I said, emotion is apart of the game. Looking down at someone is not in itself is not taunting. Saying something to the opponent or making an unnecessary movment towards an opponent I could see. This to me looks like a player dunked on a player and had him under him. I expect him to look at him at some point. This does not look unusual or unexpected. But that is why they call it judgment.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1.
In the clip, though, wouldn't you say that B1 is already in the path of A1 with LGP before the try attempt starts? B1 certainly does move a couple of feet laterally after A1's try begins. Is any movement laterally acceptable? What if B1 just slides one foot a few inches over? Block or charge?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the clip, though, wouldn't you say that B1 is already in the path of A1 with LGP before the try attempt starts? B1 certainly does move a couple of feet laterally after A1's try begins.
Yes, but B1 also has to maintain LGP until A1 returns to the floor. Shifting laterally while A1 is airborne isn't maintaining LGP. If it was, shooters would be getting low-bridged with no consequences all game long.

Quote:
Is any movement laterally acceptable? What if B1 just slides one foot a few inches over? Block or charge?
This would be where judgment comes into play.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 10:08pm.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:03am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As I said, emotion is apart of the game. Looking down at someone is not in itself is not taunting. Saying something to the opponent or making an unnecessary movment towards an opponent I could see. This to me looks like a player dunked on a player and had him under him. I expect him to look at him at some point. This does not look unusual or unexpected. But that is why they call it judgment.

Peace
Yeah, I agree. Which is why I'm not saying anything for certain regarding the shooter. I would have had to be in position to see his face to determine his intent by looking. I'm more thinking about the shooter's teammate who looked down at the defender.

In all, I'd have to be there to hear/see exactly what happened. This video alone doesn't prove if a tech should have been given out or not.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 08:25pm
Administrator

After watching the clip three times, I don't care if it was YSU doing the dunking: That play is a CHARGE! This is a classic example of an illness that has been permeating in high school and college for at least fifteen years of going with the WOW! factor rather than officiating the play.

That is my two cents from a curmudgeonly bald old geezer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio