The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Partner who does things "His way". (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96552-partner-who-does-things-his-way.html)

DRJ1960 Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43pm

Partner who does things "His way".

What do you do if you have a partner who says this pregame: "I don't care what the new rule / emphasis is, I will never change the way I call."

[a] If you are "senior" to this official.
[b] If you are "junior" (especially if he is a "big dog").

Raymond Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:47pm

Me: "I'm calling it by the rule book. If the coach has a question, I'm directing him to you for an answer."

Moosie74 Thu Nov 14, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910764)
Me: "I'm calling it by the rule book. If the coach has a question, I'm directing him to you for an answer."

This is the best answer for either choice.

Being the partner who cares enough to call the rules and POEs as written, I'm going to do my best to suck it up for the time we're together.

As a fairly new official myself, I get some of these people as partners. I go call the game, it's obvious to the coaches which one of us cares to be there and if I don't get all the rulings it's because I'm gaining experience, not because I don't care.

Unfortunately these partners require a get in, get out, go home type of game.

just another ref Thu Nov 14, 2013 01:12pm

Get in, get done, get out.

Thanks mick

BatteryPowered Thu Nov 14, 2013 03:24pm

After you get through the game, as soon as you can...block him.

But I agree, call it by the rules and if the coach(s) starts to complain direct them to your partner.

bainsey Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33am

I had a partner who told me in pre-game he was not going to call a certain rule the right way, even though we got a directive from about we were to call it by the book. I reminded him of that, but he was politely adament.

All you can do is remember him at rating time.

justacoach Fri Nov 15, 2013 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 910761)
What do you do if you have a partner who says this pregame: "I don't care what the new rule / emphasis is, I will never change the way I call."

Shades of OLD SCHOOL:eek::eek:

AremRed Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 910805)
I had a partner who told me in pre-game he was not going to call a certain rule the right way, even though we got a directive from about we were to call it by the book. I reminded him of that, but he was politely adament.

May I ask what rule?

Quote:

You rate your partners in your state? How does that factor into regular season or other assignments?

Camron Rust Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:45am

Quote:

On that topic. There was a new rule we discussed here earlier this year where only the head coach can come off the bench to assist in a fight. I had indicated that I was not inclined to penalize assistants to came off the bench and actually were beneficial to the situation. Our commissioner has now spoken on the topic and has indicated that even if they don't cause a problem he does want it called....all but the head coach must remain on the bench. I will be calling it as requested if it ever happens.

JetMetFan Fri Nov 15, 2013 04:09am

Quote:

Me: "Well then it looks like we're going to have an issue because I'm not going to knowingly call something incorrectly."

Forget rating time, I'm on the phone to the assignor when I get into my car.

BillyMac Fri Nov 15, 2013 07:11am

A Numbers Game ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910807)
You rate your partners in your state? How does that factor into regular season ... assignments?

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, ratings (80% of our rating is based on peer evaluations) are used to rank officials (1 "best" to 325 "worst"). Our assignment commissioner uses these rankings to assign games, and the number, and level (subvarsity, varsity, "big" games), of assignments is based solely on that ranking.

loners4me Fri Nov 15, 2013 07:14am

My assignor does not allow us to call 3 seconds....

BillyMac Fri Nov 15, 2013 07:18am

You're Kidding, Right ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 910815)
My assignor does not allow us to call 3 seconds....

Ever?

loners4me Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:39am

Ever....and says if you want higher level games he better not see it called

loners4me Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:43am

And not 100% certain but I think other active members on here work for the same assignor in IL.