The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post move (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96509-post-move.html)

onetime1 Fri Nov 08, 2013 08:29pm

Post move

8th grade girls basketball. Player receives ball in post and squares to basket. Immediately takes ball and uses it to provide force and pushes defensive player away then shoots 6 foot shot which goes in. Can this be player control even though no contact has occurred?

JRutledge Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15pm

All fouls that are not unsporting, require contact.

That should answer your question.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 910230)
8th grade girls basketball. Player receives ball in post and squares to basket. Immediately takes ball and uses it to provide force and pushes defensive player away then shoots 6 foot shot which goes in. Can this be player control even though no contact has occurred?

My take: By a strict reading of the rule, no. In all practical senses, yes.

And, it's been discussed here with several on each side of this.

APG Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 910236)
My take: By a strict reading of the rule, no. In all practical senses, yes.

And, it's been discussed here with several on each side of this.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...away-ball.html

I agree with Bob.

JetMetFan Sat Nov 09, 2013 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetime1 (Post 910230)

It should be a PC. A1 created illegal contact that put B1 at a disadvantage. If A1 was driving to the basket and hit B1 with the ball as part of the habitual motion of her shot that's one thing. In the OP, A1 purposely used the ball to create contact to give herself an advantage.

Adam Sat Nov 09, 2013 09:40am

Put me in the "agree with bob" camp.

BillyMac Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55am

Six Of One, Half Dozen Of Another ...

Rule 4 includes a definition of a foul that describes contact, in general, not just body to body contact:

A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with
an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing
normal defensive and offensive movements.

However, once one gets to Rule 10, the various types of illegal contact all involve various types of body to body contact, e.g., hand, leg, body, arm.

Camron Rust Sat Nov 09, 2013 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 910254)
Put me in the "agree with bob" camp.

Put me in the "agree with Adam" camp....which also puts me in the "agree with bob" camp. :D

JRutledge Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46pm

Put me in the not agreeing with Bob, Adam and Camron camp. You cannot call a foul IMO without contact from another person's body part. Someone can take the ball away or knock it out of your hand. I am not calling a foul just because the ball was used to cause contact.

Peace

johnny d Sun Nov 10, 2013 01:05pm

While I agree in principle with what JRut says, I vaguely recall a college clarification or ruling coming directly from Art Heyland a few years ago when the swinging the elbows rule first came out indicating that a FF1/intentional foul should be called when the offensive player contacts the defensive player with the ball, above the defensive players shoulders, while excessively swinging their elbows, even though there was not contact with the offensive players arms. I can see how one can extrapolate that ruling to the situation described in the op, especially considering there is not anything written specifically about that type of play.

JRutledge Sun Nov 10, 2013 03:28pm

That is an interesting point Johnny, but I do not believe this conversation was about NCAA rules. And I would have to see that ruling to be comfortable making that kind of call, certainly at that level.

Peace

JetMetFan Sun Nov 10, 2013 05:12pm

My high school interpreter has this as a PC. I’d be interested to learn what other interpreters say about it.

just another ref Sun Nov 10, 2013 06:25pm

4-45-5: The offensive player............may not "clear out" or cause contact within the defender's vertical plane, which is a foul.

Clearing out by using the ball is still clearing out.

AremRed Sun Nov 10, 2013 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910232)
All fouls that are not unsporting, require contact.

That should answer your question.

There was contact, from the ball. I totally agree though. No contact with the ball, no foul.

JRutledge Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910359)
There was contact, from the ball. I totally agree though. No contact with the ball, no foul.

Well then get in the weight room or take the darn ball away. ;)

Peace