The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When Not To Shoot Free Throws? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96499-when-not-shoot-free-throws.html)

Mad Mike Thu Nov 07, 2013 03:02pm

When Not To Shoot Free Throws?

It's fairly obvious when to shoot free throws on try or tap attempt. However, short of a player control foul, i.e. "charging" on the offensive ball handler, what are the types of plays we don't shoot free throws in FED?

Let me start out:

1) Common foul, no bonus in effect.
2) Double personal foul.
3) Double Technical foul.
4) Goal tending or basket interference.

One of the main questions I have is how about team control fouls--what are some examples of team control fouls and why you would not shoot foul shots on these?

JRutledge Thu Nov 07, 2013 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mike (Post 910082)
It's fairly obvious when to shoot free throws on try or tap attempt. However, short of a player control foul, i.e. "charging" on the offensive ball handler, what are the types of plays we don't shoot free throws in FED?

Let me start out:

1) Common foul, no bonus in effect.
2) Double personal foul.
3) Double Technical foul.
4) Goal tending or basket interference.

One of the main questions I have is how about team control fouls--what are some examples of team control fouls and why you would not shoot foul shots on these?

You did not include simultaneous fouls in your list.

Well you would not shoot FTs on a team control foul because that is what the rules says. Illegal screens, fouls by the team in possession of the ball are usually team control fouls. You need to look at your definitions and this would be rather obvious.

Also you could shoot FTs if a GT or BI took place if there is a foul. You might not shoot as many, but you would still shoot if there is a foul.

Peace

johnny d Thu Nov 07, 2013 04:39pm

Quote:

It's fairly obvious when to shoot free throws on try or tap attempt.

why you would not shoot foul shots on these?

It is fairly obvious because that is what the rules tell us to do, and as JRut said, that is also why we don't shoot fouls on team control fouls.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:18pm

Quote:

We do not shoot FTs on team control fouls because to do so is a double penalty.

#1, you lose the ball.
#2, the opposing team gets FTs.

Also, there's really no difference in the penalty aspect of a player control foul and a team control foul. The penalties should be the same.

That's why the rule was changed a few seasons ago.

Welcome to the forum.

RookieDude Tue Nov 12, 2013 06:39am

Quote:

--what are some examples of team control fouls

I have an example of a team control foul that I have seen even seasoned veterans miss.

Team A has control of the ball...B1 bats the ball away from A1...loose ball and a mad scramble for it. A2 fouls B2 as they both are trying to get the loose ball.

Team Control does not change untill the other team gains control.

Thus, even if Team B is in the bonus...no Free Throws...since Team B did not have control when the foul occurred and Team A did have "control".

Team Control Foul. (Signal #37)

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Nov 12, 2013 09:22am

You also would not shoot FTs on a foul to end the game when the FTs will not have a bearing on the outcome of the game.