The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Liability Insurance - Such a deal!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96429-liability-insurance-such-deal.html)

justacoach Tue Oct 29, 2013 06:16pm

Liability Insurance - Such a deal!!

Just renewed my 2MM liability coverage for basketball officiating. Shocked to see price decrease from $35 last year to $8 this year.

No, they don't do health coverage!!

PM me for link

BktBallRef Tue Oct 29, 2013 08:19pm

Is it a secret? Can't post it here?

pfan1981 Tue Oct 29, 2013 08:42pm

Ummm.....is this super common amongst high school officials? What does it cover?

justacoach Tue Oct 29, 2013 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 909357)
Is it a secret? Can't post it here?

I'd be glad to. I have absolutely no affiliation, 4 of us have been customers for 3+ years..

Sadler & Company Sports Insurance: SODA-National Amateur Sports Insurance Program...

Then select "Instant Online Quote & Purchase"

choose sports official at bottom of page

justacoach Tue Oct 29, 2013 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 909359)
Ummm.....is this super common amongst high school officials? What does it cover?

strictly liability

pfan1981 Tue Oct 29, 2013 09:30pm

In case what?, I kick a call ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 909347)
Just renewed my 2MM liability coverage for basketball officiating. Shocked to see price decrease from $35 last year to $8 this year.

No, they don't do health coverage!!

PM me for link

In what state are you registered? I am surprised that you have to buy your own liability insurance.

I have automatic liability insurance cover by being registered by or as a member of the following organizations:

OhioHSAA MichiganHSAA NASO IAABO

As well as ASA and USSSA for fast pitch umpiring.

MTD, Sr.

Sharpshooternes Wed Oct 30, 2013 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 909374)
In what state are you registered? I am surprised that you have to buy your own liability insurance.

I have automatic liability insurance cover by being registered by or as a member of the following organizations:

MTD, Sr.

I also have automatic coverage for the entire year by paying our assosiation dues. It is pretty good ccoverage.

Altor Wed Oct 30, 2013 07:26am

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

And being a registered OHSAA official means you have the NFHS coverage, which covers you for every non-professional athletic contest you officiate in any sport.

Raymond Wed Oct 30, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Same here, through the VHSL. I live in the same state as justacoach.

egj13 Wed Oct 30, 2013 09:15am

I am in a new state this year (Florida) and received an e-mail about purchasing liability insurance the other day as well. I thought...as said on here...that I was covered by one of the organizations, NFHS, FHSAA, Local pool so I was confused on why to buy more. Is the NFHS coverage not high enough maybe? Never had to worry about it in the 3 previous states I have called in.

Altor Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28am

You might want to check with the FHSAA. Florida is NOT on this list.

The_Rookie Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 909375)
I also have automatic coverage for the entire year by paying our assosiation dues. It is pretty good ccoverage.

Same deal with me, coverage through association...In order to have coverage you have to be a "Qualified" official which in these parts requires taking 2 exams and attending x amount of class room instruction.

Reality is if something big goes down, it will be the schools who get slapped with a lawsuit because they have deep pockets. However, they can drag an official into the mess as well..so good to have liability coverage:cool:

Bad Zebra Wed Oct 30, 2013 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by egj13 (Post 909396)
I am in a new state this year (Florida) and received an e-mail about purchasing liability insurance the other day as well. I thought...as said on here...that I was covered by one of the organizations, NFHS, FHSAA, Local pool so I was confused on why to buy more. Is the NFHS coverage not high enough maybe? Never had to worry about it in the 3 previous states I have called in.

We're covered. Go here: http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/f...ertificate.pdf

and here:
http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/f...it_summary.pdf

Like most...we are also covered for non FHSAA games as well. Pretty much any officiating activity other than the NBA.