The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Still run the end line? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96360-still-run-end-line.html)

jeremy341a Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:12am

Still run the end line?

Last night JH Girls game. The visiting team was inbounding the ball against a press by the home team. V1 broke to the ball caught the pass and shot a layup in the wrong basket. Of course she made it. The visitors start running the wrong way. In the next two seconds the V coach realized what happened and called a time out. When the came out of the time out it was the V ball on the end line facing the press. I told the throw in player they had the option to run the end line. Was I correct?

bob jenkins Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:19am

A team can run the endline after a goal or awarded goal, and a TO does not change that -- so you got it right.

Raymond Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:21am

I'll just 2 questions:
  1. Why do you think you might be incorrect?
  2. What situations allow for a non-designated spot throw-in?

JRutledge Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 908387)

Probably because there are people (coaches) that think the timeout changes the status of the throw in. And if the coach is thinking this, a younger, newer or inexperienced official has either heard that explanation or thinks the rule applies as well. This is one of those rules that seem to keep coming up in close game situations even with high school coaches. Not surprised someone would doubt themselves if the situation has not come up that often.

Peace

jeremy341a Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 908387)
I'll just 2 questions:
  2. What situations allow for a non-designated spot throw-in?

1. No it wasn't the timeout that had me questioning it. I was sure that didn't change the legality of running the end line. It was the fact that the wrong team made the goal.

2. I know a player can run the end line after a made basket but I was having flashbacks to all those shooting at the wrong basket isn't really a shot posts.

I would guesstimate I was 90% sure they could run the end line but there was a little doubt in there.

maven Wed Oct 23, 2013 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 908392)
1. No it wasn't the timeout that had me questioning it. I was sure that didn't change the legality of running the end line. It was the fact that the wrong team made the goal.

2. I know a player can run the end line after a made basket but I was having flashbacks to all those shooting at the wrong basket isn't really a shot posts.

I would guesstimate I was 90% sure they could run the end line but there was a little doubt in there.

Right: it's not a try, but it is a goal (scores points).

Now: which is relevant to running the EL? :)

Raymond Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 908392)

That is only relevant in respect to "shooting fouls" and end of quarter situations.

Not trying to give you a hard time by asking the questions, just wanted to get your thoughts flowing.

jeremy341a Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 908415)
That is only relevant in respect to "shooting fouls" and end of quarter situations.

Not trying to give you a hard time by asking the questions, just wanted to get your thoughts flowing.

It's all good. That's why I'm here, to learn.

Raymond Wed Oct 23, 2013 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 908426)
It's all good. That's why I'm here, to learn.

I can tell.

But some other folks are only here to get test questions right. ;)

johnny d Wed Oct 23, 2013 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 908457)
I can tell.

But some other folks are only here to get test questions right. ;)

There's a test? What test? Nobody told me about a test!

BillyMac Wed Oct 23, 2013 04:16pm

I Graduated From High School Over Forty Years Ago, But, Still ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 908389)
Probably because there are people (coaches) that think the timeout changes the status of the throw in.

Probably the same people who believe that they get the ball in that frontcourt when they call a timeout after a made basket in the waning seconds of a game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 908490)
There's a test? What test? Nobody told me about a test!

My reoccurring nightmare. I'm also late, and I'm not wearing any clothes.