The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Striking the backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96283-striking-backboard.html)

Camron Rust Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 907743)
Why would he get a substitute shot when we're awarding the point?

Duh...you are correct. We are awarding the point. :eek:

Sharpshooternes Wed Oct 16, 2013 04:14pm

What is the HS mechanic for signaling a BI or GT?

Freddy Wed Oct 16, 2013 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 907786)
What is the HS mechanic for signaling a BI or GT?

As with other violations that have no specific symbol, simply point to the spot of the violation and vocalize the infraction.

Though yes, I am a plumber, I disapprove of the made-up "swirlie" signal with the finger. It's approved by toilet technicians, but not by NFHS.

Camron Rust Thu Oct 17, 2013 02:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 907788)
As with other violations that have no specific symbol, simply point to the spot of the violation and vocalize the infraction.

Though yes, I am a plumber, I disapprove of the made-up "swirlie" signal with the finger. It's approved by toilet technicians, but not by NFHS.

Wouldn't the signal be to either count the basket or wipe the basket depending on which team committed the infraction? Or are you thinking of that not as a signal for the infraction but, instead, a signal for the penalty.

Freddy Thu Oct 17, 2013 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 907805)
Wouldn't the signal be to either count the basket or wipe the basket depending on which team committed the infraction? Or are you thinking of that not as a signal for the infraction but, instead, a signal for the penalty.

Correct.

APG Thu Oct 17, 2013 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 907788)

Honestly don't have an issue with the signal personally. The NFHS is generally quite behind in signals that should be already in the book IMO. For instance, I imagine that a large percentage of officials were doing the kick ball signal while it was not an approved signal. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing was true of the tip ball mechanic.

PG_Ref Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 907825)
Honestly don't have an issue with the signal personally. The NFHS is generally quite behind in signals that should be already in the book IMO. For instance, I imagine that a large percentage of officials were doing the kick ball signal while it was not an approved signal. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing was true of the tip ball mechanic.

The tipped ball signal is already a new mechanic for this year.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 907828)
The tipped ball signal is already a new mechanic for this year.

I'm sure he knows that. He meant that it wouldn't surprise him if the signal had been used by many officials for many years before the signal was approved.

PG_Ref Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 907830)
I'm sure he knows that. He meant that it wouldn't surprise him if the signal had been used by many officials for many years before the signal was approved.

Gotcha