The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Career No-nos. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96168-career-no-nos.html)

JRutledge Wed Sep 25, 2013 05:59pm

Career No-nos.

This was from a Referee Magazine article. I wanted to see if some disagreed or had comments on any of them. The article was more elaborate, but I wanted to see what people felt here. I have an issue with a couple of these on some level, but not by much.

1. Telling a coach or player to shut up.
2. Waving your hand at a coach.
3. Getting involved with a spectator.
4. Being late for a game.
5. Sitting with the coach.
6. Spending too much time talking with the coach before the game.
7. Complaining about the amount you are being paid for the game.
8. Verbally abusing table personnel.
9. Wearing jewelry.
10. Wearing inappropriate clothes to the game.
11. Arriving at game already dressed.
12. Showing disapproval of a partners call.
13. Being in poor condition or lack of hustle.
14. Refusing to speak with a coach or a player.
15. Making negative comments about your partner and assigner.

Peace

Freddy Wed Sep 25, 2013 08:42pm

1/15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 906042)
15. Making negative comments about your partner and assigner.

It is entirely possible that this could, for constructive reasons, be done in a beneficial manner. Not in a spirit of complaining nor in a degrading fashion. Only in the understanding company of fellow officials or to the parties themselves. Maybe.

Others seem like no-no's to me.

You forgot #16: "Telling a fellow official not to be a plumber."

just another ref Wed Sep 25, 2013 08:58pm

10. Inappropriate, as I understand it, varies widely according to area and level.

11. If everybody else where you are does it, it must be all right.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Sep 25, 2013 09:53pm

17. Wearing a belt anywhere except a corner of Connecticut. :D

brainbrian Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18pm

Some of these depend on the level you're refereeing. I'm going to dress differently going to a middle school game than college game. Weekend church league you're never going to get all officials to not interact with their friends who may be coaching or a spectator. Also, some of these are common sense for life in general. You should never tell someone to shut up, be late, or verbally people. Nothing special in refereeing.

I think the big career no-no in the list is complaining about your partners and the assignor. Word will get around. I also think you need to make sure you show up for your games, be reliable, and do not turn back games to your assignor without a valid reason.

JRutledge Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 906052)
10. Inappropriate, as I understand it, varies widely according to area and level.

True but wearing a T-shirt and some flip flops would not be considered appropriate in many places I am sure. This is probably the reason the word "inappropriate" was used instead of specific types of dress.

Quote:

I guess. But that still does not mean people think highly of that practice that are observing. I would not be doing that no matter what others do.

Peace

just another ref Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 906056)

I guess. But that still does not mean people think highly of that practice that are observing.

98% of the officials here come to the game dressed and ready to work. That's at all levels, jr. high through varsity. You honestly think anybody here is observing this and thinking: "Boy, this is unprofessional!" ?

JRutledge Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 906058)
98% of the officials here come to the game dressed and ready to work. That's at all levels, jr. high through varsity. You honestly think anybody here is observing this and thinking: "Boy, this is unprofessional!" ?

Obviously not. And still does not make it right or give the right impression to those that are not officials.

Peace

just another ref Thu Sep 26, 2013 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 906059)
Obviously not. And still does not make it right or give the right impression to those that are not officials.

Peace

I was talking about the people who are not officials. The coach/athletic director at the high school up the road here has seen a total of 7 officials come to the school dressed in something other than their officiating clothes in the six years he's been here. He's saying to himself, "Gee, I think all those other guys should dress like that." ?

I don't buy it.

BillyMac Thu Sep 26, 2013 06:06am

Billy Joe Royal, 1965 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 906054)
17. Wearing a belt anywhere except a corner of Connecticut.

While there may be a few exceptions in some other areas somewhere out in the boondocks, I agree with you.

Whistles & Stripes: Well said. Where were you on my earlier thread? I really could have used some backup.

Adam Thu Sep 26, 2013 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 906059)

Peace

Jeff, I'm with you on this issue, but what is expected, and therefore what is considered "professional", is going to vary by area. Where jar works, it's not unprofessional. The only people who notice are officials, and school staff. If the school staff sees it all the time, they won't know any different.

You're normally one of the biggest advocates for "do what's expected in your area," this is no exception.

Adam Thu Sep 26, 2013 07:46am

Quote:

Regarding 11, I would agree, so long as everyone else in your area is getting games that you want. It's possible, for example, that everyone else in your area is doing it, but no one in your area is getting state level playoff games. Or, perhaps, only the 2% who dress in the locker room are getting playoff games.

Or, it truly doesn't matter in your entire state.

Smitty Thu Sep 26, 2013 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 906058)

They certainly are in every major metropolitan area where I've worked.

bob jenkins Thu Sep 26, 2013 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 906061)
I was talking about the people who are not officials. The coach/athletic director at the high school up the road here has seen a total of 7 officials come to the school dressed in something other than their officiating clothes in the six years he's been here. He's saying to himself, "Gee, I think all those other guys should dress like that." ?

I don't buy it.

In fact, he's likely thinking, "Hell -- here comes this PITA who is not dressed and now I have to find a secure spot to put him / her.... I should tell the assigner not to send this official anymore and to send only those who are already dressed."

Bad Zebra Thu Sep 26, 2013 08:01am

I'd add another one that I've observed more frequently in the past 5 years:

Engage in inappropriate behavior outside the lines.

Pretty broad I know but I've seen the following:
Officials charged with DUI's
Officials arrested for marijuana posession
Officials charged with domestic violence
Officials banned from school grounds for various reasons
Officials arrested for assault
Officials charged with indecent exposure

I used to believe sports officials were some of the highest character people around. Maybe it's because I'm in Florida and this place attracts whackos, but it seems like I see these occur more often than would be expected. In every instance noted above, the offending official ended up losing out on their schedule or being asked to leave the association, whether or not they were found guilty or charges dismissed.