The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Start of game - NCAA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/9614-start-game-ncaa.html)

Jay R Tue Aug 05, 2003 08:30pm

NCAA rules. I am assuming that an intentional technical foul (or another technical foul that has FT and possession)that occured during the warm up would mean that the game would not begin with a jump ball. But rather with a throw-in. Please confirm or correct.

I was looking for this in the NCAA rule book and could not find it. Does anyone know which rule section deals with this situation?

Thanks. Jay

Jurassic Referee Tue Aug 05, 2003 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
NCAA rules. I am assuming that an intentional technical foul (or another technical foul that has FT and possession)that occured during the warm up would mean that the game would not begin with a jump ball. But rather with a throw-in. Please confirm or correct.

I was looking for this in the NCAA rule book and could not find it. Does anyone know which rule section deals with this situation?

Thanks. Jay

Jay,with indirect T's before the game starts,you would still have a jump ball.Direct T's go back to the point of interruption,so that would be a jump ball also.Intentional T's do let the shooting team keep the ball for a throw-in,I think.Look under technical foul penalties in Rule 10 to confirm this.

Try these NCAA cites:
R10-4-1(b),10-4-3,10-6-1,10-14.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 5th, 2003 at 09:02 PM]

Jay R Fri Aug 08, 2003 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[Intentional T's do let the shooting team keep the ball for a throw-in,I think.Look under technical foul penalties in Rule 10 to confirm this.

Try these NCAA cites:
R10-4-1(b),10-4-3,10-6-1,10-14.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 5th, 2003 at 09:02 PM] [/B]

JR
I agree that (pre game) intentional technicals should be 2FT and possession. I have yet to find this in the rule book. I checked the rules you quoted, no mention of penalty for warm up. Can anyone help me out with the actual rule, section and article.
Thanks.
Jay

ChuckElias Fri Aug 08, 2003 04:07pm

Jay, the important rule is 10-14. It specifically states that the penalty for the intentional T includes possession of the ball (for men, possession at midcourt; for women, possession at the spot nearest the foul). This applies to any point of the contest in which the officials have jurisdiction. So whether the intentional T occurs before the game or during the game, the penalty is the same; two shots and the ball. Does that help?

Jay R Fri Aug 08, 2003 06:45pm

Yes it does, Chuck. I think part of my problem is my FIBA background where it states that the game must begin with a jump ball.

No jokes about Feeble please.

Jay

Leggs45 Mon Aug 11, 2003 05:35pm

Jay,

Beginning with the 2003-2004 season, the Intentional Technical Foul has been eliminated from the 2004 NCAA Rule Book.

Rule 4-26.6, 4-26.7 (page 65, 66)-The term intentional technical foul will be deleted. In a situation where contact is made during a deadball, a direct technical foul can be called in lieu of the previously used term. Assuming the contact doesn't merit a flagrant foul, which an official could still call, a direct technical foul will result in two free throws and returning the ball to play at the point of interruption, instead of loss of possession.*

Jay R Wed Aug 13, 2003 07:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by Leggs45
Jay,

Beginning with the 2003-2004 season, the Intentional Technical Foul has been eliminated from the 2004 NCAA Rule Book.

Rule 4-26.6, 4-26.7 (page 65, 66)-The term intentional technical foul will be deleted. In a situation where contact is made during a deadball, a direct technical foul can be called in lieu of the previously used term. Assuming the contact doesn't merit a flagrant foul, which an official could still call, a direct technical foul will result in two free throws and returning the ball to play at the point of interruption, instead of loss of possession.*

BTW Leggs, the rule change mentionned is for NCAA Women's. There is no change on the Men's side.

LDUB Thu Aug 14, 2003 02:22pm

I've never seen this happen in NCAA but I have seen it in Fed rules. One of the players jersey number didnt match the number by his name in the score book. So the game was started with 2 foul shots and the ball out of bounds.