The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clapping- FIBA- US (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95913-clapping-fiba-us.html)

mutantducky Sat Aug 24, 2013 04:00am

Clapping- FIBA- US

Has there been any recent changes regarding clapping during a shot in the US? I know FT- no, but regular shot Ok. Same for HS, NCAA, NBA?

I've been overseas playing some ball. I don't do it often but I've clapped playing D, running at a shooter. I found out it was a foul according to FIBA rules. At first I thought that's a lame rule but on second thought maybe the US should follow-suit. Any thoughts?

JRutledge Sat Aug 24, 2013 04:04am

No such restriction in American codes.

Peace

bob jenkins Sat Aug 24, 2013 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 903252)
Any thoughts?

Yes. You should stop doing it.

If it becomes an issue, it would be an unsporting T.

APG Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07am

Thoughts? Stupid rule that should remain FIBA only.

BillyMac Sat Aug 24, 2013 01:22pm

Barely Legal ...

Quote:

Has there been any recent changes regarding clapping during a shot in the US? Any thoughts?

Reminds me of the defender trailing an opponent about to make an easy layup yelling, "Miss", or something else, loudly at the shooter. Or, especially in a girls game, a defender yelling, "Dead, dead, dead ...", at a player who has picked up her dribble, just to rattle her chain. If you've officiated long enough then you've observed these situations. In thirty-two years, I've never seen an official call anything in those situations. Maybe it's not "right", but it seems to be considered a barely legal part to the game, at least here in my little corner of Connecticut.

BillyMac Sat Aug 24, 2013 07:19pm

Same Page ???

Quote:

... clapping during a shot in the US? I know FT- no, but regular shot Ok. Same for HS ... it was a foul according to FIBA rules. Any thoughts?

mutantducky: I just want to make sure that you are familiar with the NFHS rule regarding distractions (i.e., clapping) during a free throw. The last part of your post leads me to believe that you believe that it might be penalized with a technical foul. Although an unsporting technical foul is a possibility under certain, rare, circumstances, most high school officials would first go to a simple disconcertion violation, and then, if that didn't seem to get everyone's attention, go to the technical foul "nuclear" option.

Adam Sat Aug 24, 2013 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 903361)
mutantducky: I just want to make sure that you are familiar with the NFHS rule regarding distractions (i.e., clapping) during a free throw. The last part of your post leads me to believe that you believe that it might be penalized with a technical foul. Although an unsporting technical foul is a possibility under certain, rare, circumstances, most high school officials would first go to a simple disconcertion violation, and then, if that didn't seem to get everyone's attention, go to the technical foul "nuclear" option.

That is not how I read his post.

JRutledge Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:42pm

That is not how anyone reading this and commented already read this post. SURPRISE!!!!!

Peace

Adam Sun Aug 25, 2013 02:58pm

This thread has now gone off the rails twice due to an inability to stay on topic.

Ducky, you're free to start a new thread if you want clarification, or pm me and I can open this one back up.