The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Looking Sharp! Wardrobe and Attire (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95698-looking-sharp-wardrobe-attire.html)

Travelling Man Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:16pm

Looking Sharp! Wardrobe and Attire

Several of the officials I work games with have actually told me that they get their stripped shirts hemmed and fitted by a tailor. I noticed that they fit very snug on them and wondered how they looked so sharp. Their pants are hemmed, tailored to fit on the waist line and shirt NEVER comes out. They told me that they use a lock elastic belt. But does anyone here actually spend / invest in their ref wardrobe to that extent? I imagine that the cost of alterations would be more expensive than the wardrobe itself?

BillyMac Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:26pm

Coz' Every Girl's Crazy 'Bout A Sharp Dressed Man. ...

I don't mind spending big bucks on the finest black belts in the most exclusive, and expensive, stores. No skimping here for me. Purchasing a black belt is not the time for me to be cheap. To be penny wise is to be pound foolish.

tomegun Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:27pm

I do. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't imagine getting my pants exactly the way I want them without tailoring.

I have a question...I have been busy and not on the site a lot. Didn't you recently give a somewhat long-winded post about players being good refs or something like that? It strikes me as odd that someone with such an opinion on officiating does not know something I tell my crew during week one of our meetings.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 901376)
I don't mind spending big bucks on the finest black belts in the most exclusive, and expensive, stores. No skimping here for me. Purchasing a black belt is not the time for me to be cheap. To be penny wise is to be pound foolish.

Me, I spend no more than $0.00 on belts. :D;)

BillyMac Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:32pm

Two Words ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 901378)
Me, I spend no more than $0.00 on belts.

Shut up. And the same to the horse you rode in on.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 31, 2013 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 901379)
Shut up. And the same to the horse you rode in on.

Well, that is my upper limit. I may spend less.

JRutledge Wed Jul 31, 2013 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelling Man (Post 901374)
I imagine that the cost of alterations would be more expensive than the wardrobe itself?

Nope. I go to a uniform shop and get my pants and shirts done (we have patches for our state association). I do not think I pay $3 for an alteration for pants and sometimes depending on how many I bring it it might be less than that amount. And if I had to pay more, I would. I do not have anyone complain how I look in the uniform or that I look sloppy. That is not happening to me if I can help it.

Peace

Travelling Man Wed Jul 31, 2013 06:22pm

Yeah, I see your point(s). When I started out reffing, I used to do it in black Nike dri-fit pants and black Nike shoes with white swoosh--same ones I used for working out or playing pickup hoop in. Then I moved up to the shiny all black no 'white' reeboks and Smitty tailored black pants. Though I must confess, I still wear my vera wang black belt.
I rem'ber my assigner telling me: "hey Michelle, those coaches and players judge you by how professional you look---they actually equate it with proficiency". Since that advice, I've invested in my gear.

Freddy Wed Jul 31, 2013 06:30pm

Quote:

. . . their stripped shirts hemmed and fitted by a tailor . . . pants are hemmed, tailored to fit on the waist line . . .
But does anyone here actually spend / invest in their ref wardrobe to that extent?

Yes. I will this year. That's the next step I must take. Cost is a minimal factor compared to the desired outcome.
That's just me. Others may disagree.

Travelling Man Wed Jul 31, 2013 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 901376)

*I"m sure you look quite regal in your attire. And, coupled with your supreme knowledge of the game and excellent game management skills you exude both professionalism and erudition.

Adam Wed Jul 31, 2013 08:10pm

I spend about $10 to get each pair of pants hemmed. I use an inside belt to keep my shirt tucked in, it cost me about $10. I'm not about to get the shirts tailored, though. Maybe some day.

BillyMac Thu Aug 01, 2013 06:09am

Nepotism Rules ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelling Man (Post 901390)
I"m sure you look quite regal in your attire. And, coupled with your supreme knowledge of the game and excellent game management skills you exude both professionalism and erudition.

Thanks. I'll send you a check, in the amount of our agreed upon payment, next week, after I get paid. Hopefully, nobody will find out that you are actually a distant relative of mine.

BillyMac Thu Aug 01, 2013 06:13am

The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelling Man (Post 901388)
I still wear my vera wang black belt.

What? Are you sure that you officiate in Kansas and not in my little corner of Connecticut? Wearing a black belt outside of my little corner of Connecticut may impede your progress up the officiating ladder, and will certainly lose you points among most esteemed members of this forum. You may want to consider deleting the "black belt" portion of your post.

Sharpshooternes Thu Aug 01, 2013 06:38am

Quote:

Several of the officials I work games with have actually told me that they get their stripped shirts hemmed and fitted by a tailor. I noticed that they fit very snug on them and wondered how they looked so sharp. Their pants are hemmed, tailored to fit on the waist line and shirt NEVER comes out. They told me that they use a lock elastic belt. But does anyone here actually spend / invest in their ref wardrobe to that extent? I imagine that the cost of alterations would be more expensive than the wardrobe itself?

I have all of my shirts tailored (or do it myself). I also upgraded to the Reebok Zigs to get the shine and comfort. Pants are also tailored. Look is a huge part of officiating.

JetMetFan Thu Aug 01, 2013 06:56am

I'm using a lock belt to keep my shirts in. I'll be getting my pants tailored before the start of the season because I've dropped 35 lbs. since January (no, I don't have a disease).