The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It's an NCAA football-based story but it would affect basketball as well (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95636-its-ncaa-football-based-story-but-would-affect-basketball-well.html)

JetMetFan Fri Jul 26, 2013 09:42am

It's an NCAA football-based story but it would affect basketball as well

Talk of a "Division 4"

NCAA reform looms amid talk of Division IV at conference media days - College Football - Pete Thamel - SI.com

Welpe Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04am

Maybe they ought to just make the BCS conferences the Minor Leagues of the NFL and pay the players like they already are. :rolleyes:

The big question in my mind is how long will each sport only have one rule book? I can envision a time where there is a rule book for the "Super Conferences" and another for everybody else.

JRutledge Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33pm

All of this I heard, I do not see this changing anything major but money and rules (not playing rules) in which things are done. The NCAA Tournament makes too much money and football is already running on its own basically. Football drives the bus and the NCAA does not run a tournament for football at the major college level. What may happen is what rules a Big Ten or and SEC does in paying players or recruiting, but I do not see it changing where they break off. For one braking off would have consequences and might put more liability on many areas to those schools they did not anticipate. I think the Big 5 are tired of rules with recruiting and how schools get penalized and that is part of the problem here. Also keep in mind the NCAA decided to not endorse another video game for college football and reports say that EA Sports can go through these schools and make a game with all the logos and backgrounds without the NCAA's blessing. This is mostly about money and who has power. And right now a school that does not have a football team can vote on things that influence a major program that makes millions every year. I think that is really what this is about at this time.

Peace

Nevadaref Fri Jul 26, 2013 04:46pm

Until our country decides that higher education should have nothing to do with running a major sports program as a source of revenue, then we will have this debate. Are they students who compete for enjoyment, school pride, a social activity, and a break from studies or are they really a farm system for the professional sports leagues and just a revenue stream for these institutions?
What exactly is the connection between higher education and athletics anyway?

It won't happen any time soon, but an act of congress which bans sports on TV would collapse this system.
Take the big money out of it and watch the schools get out of having these sports teams and big stadiums.

BillyMac Fri Jul 26, 2013 06:07pm

Student Athletes ...

My daughter played Division III soccer, and my son ran Division II cross country. Both were real student athletes, as were all their teammates, and all their opponents.

Nevadaref Fri Jul 26, 2013 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 900885)
My daughter played Division III soccer, and my son ran Division II cross country. Both were real student athletes, as were all their teammates, and all their opponents.

Were their games televised? Could you go to a sporting goods store and purchase their jerseys? What did a ticket to watch them play cost?
Thanks for making my point.

BillyMac Fri Jul 26, 2013 06:34pm

Right Back At You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 900886)
Thanks for making my point.

You're welcome.

Nevadaref Fri Jul 26, 2013 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 900888)
Your welcome.

Is that really MY welcome?

You have been visited by Mr. Spelling Guy.

BillyMac Sat Jul 27, 2013 05:23am

Stupid Spellcheck ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 900894)
You have been visited by Mr. Spelling Guy.

Hey? Labrinth can do it, why not me?

"I love how crazy this has sent people. It was to annoy English teachers and grammar Nazis." (Labrinth)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bqIxCtEveG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Travelling Man Sun Jul 28, 2013 05:02pm

Wondering if this is a basketball officiating forum or a quasi English grammar forum?

Adam Sun Jul 28, 2013 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelling Man (Post 901002)
Wondering if this is a basketball officiating forum or a quasi English grammar forum?

The long answer:

Yes

BillyMac Sun Jul 28, 2013 06:05pm

Grammar, Spelling, Math, History, Physics, Music, Cinema, The Forum Has It All ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelling Man (Post 901002)

Hey. Thanks to the Forum, I hope to someday earn my G.E.D. It's cheaper than a tutor, and more fun than taking an adult education class at my local high school.

Texas Aggie Sun Aug 04, 2013 04:50pm

Quote:

are they really a farm system for the professional sports leagues
This has only, if ever, been the case in 2 sports and it really isn't the case in hoops any more due to younger signings and the international players. College football is just too darn popular to make any serious changes along the lines you speak of.

The problem now is the arms race. The schools with resources get better and better facilities and the smaller schools can't keep up. Without knowing it or intending it, the larger schools are putting the smaller schools in a place where soon they won't be able to compete but still have to field teams for the large schools to play. Having no competitors in business is great but in athletics, it sucks.

For example: Texas A&M and Rice used to be in the same conference and played home and home games every year. Now, Rice is a home "check" game for A&M -- Rice comes to College Station and A&M writes them a check -- which is for more money than Rice will get for staging a home game. These kinds of games aren't new, but then they weren't common between 2 schools that 20 years prior were in the same conference.

Quote:

but an act of congress which bans sports on TV would collapse this system.
It would also be unconstitutional.