The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   True or false... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95608-true-false.html)

bainsey Tue Jul 23, 2013 01:13pm

True or false...

Some of the whiniest players in your games are partners from previous games.

justacoach Tue Jul 23, 2013 02:32pm

Wouldn't know. Don't have any 9YO partners!

grunewar Tue Jul 23, 2013 03:08pm

Close enough?

While not my partner lately, I did "T" up one of our associations junior officials while he was playing in an 18U game last night.

Thy protestest too much! WHACK!

First one of the summer season......now, I'm in mid-season form! Bring em on!! :D

Freddy Tue Jul 23, 2013 05:47pm

Make the Next One Multiple Choice

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 900680)
Some of the whiniest players in your games are partners from previous games.

False

Welpe Tue Jul 23, 2013 07:30pm

This was certainly true in intramurals. I don't work adult league ball so it's not an issue anywhere else for me. :)

BillyMac Wed Jul 24, 2013 05:57am

Vice-Versa ...

Back in the olden days, when I was working (and it was work, my family needed the paycheck) various mens recreation leagues, I often crossed heads with a real hothead player, a gifted basketball player, but a real hothead. My altercations with him were often accompanied by technical fouls, and even an occasional ejection (we actually ejected players from the gymnasium back then). Fast forward to the present, and he is one of our local board's best officials.

grunewar Wed Jul 24, 2013 06:25am

Not to hijack.....but, vice, versa

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 900706)
Fast forward to the present, and he is one of our local board's best officials.

I reffed a kid for many yrs who was a pretty good player. He yapped a bit on the court, whined some like a lot of kids, and constantly looked to get a call. After many yrs on the court he decided to try his hand at officiating to make some extra $.....I mean, how hard could it be? HE WAS HORRIBLE and he knew it! One of the worst deer in the headlights I ever saw. He officiated ONE GAME....and never officiated again......I think he found new respect for our avocation.

Jay R Wed Jul 24, 2013 06:37am

Along the same lines, there was a pretty good official in our association who decided to give it up mostly because he was frustrated with all the complaining from players, coaches and parents (at least that's what he told me was the reason). Fast forward a couple of years and he became coach at a local high school. Wouldn't you know it, he was one of the worse for getting on officials.

just another ref Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:37am

One of the last games I played in, many years ago, was officiated by a young guy who I had helped train not long before. No whining, but I flinched and frowned a lot. The guy guarding me fouled out. One foul of the five was legitimate.

Altor Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 900708)
Wouldn't you know it, he was one of the worse for getting on officials.

And yet, I'm still going to mostly ignore the claims of "I used to be an official too."

BillyMac Wed Jul 24, 2013 04:02pm

Short Memories ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 900708)
There was a pretty good official in our association who decided to give it up ... Fast forward a couple of years and he became coach at a local high school. Wouldn't you know it, he was one of the worse for getting on officials.

We've had a few of those here in my little corner of Connecticut.